496HO overheating >

496HO overheating

Notices

496HO overheating

Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can You Spell Strainer!

Randy's post is a good one as the scan tool will not show if the raw side of the cooling system is clogged or restricted and the system will only alarm or guardian if the engine actually starts overheating.
I am always kind of amazed how many boaters raw cooling systems are getting clogged or blocked with debris because they do not have a raw water strainer. It should be obvious and I believe every boat that boats in any water with debris must have a raw water strainer and anyone boating without one is just setting them selves up for problems.

C'mon guys get your boats properly equipped and stop punishing your wallet and boating expierences!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note to mr Raylar this is the 1st boat with dual water pickups I have ran on this water & it only happened on 1 side but I did buy some strainers I just have to mount them. Hopefully that will be when I pull them out & have you upgrade them to your 600s
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 model 496mag ho (ss risers and aluminum exhaust manifolds from the factory). My engine went into guardian mode last week after about 15 minutes or so of boating. Put the scan tool on it and starboard riser temp was 149 degrees and port 179 degrees! Took off the hose at the bottom of each manifold rail (mine was brass from the factory). Completely corroded from dissimilar metals, check ball locked in solid! Found out that Mercury is aware of the problem and has a cast manifold conversion kit with new sensors, manifold gasket, turbulator gasket, and longer hoses, and the brass part now is plastic! Running fine now! I too thought grooved impeller! NOT! I have a SS Hardin Marine impeller now, made no change, it as the damn stoppage in the brass fittings on each side! You can also check where the hose comes in from the transom-mine stopped up there too about 5 years ago! Hope this helps. I have seen this exhaust manifold issue now by the way a dozen times at various mechanics shops! (thankfully I know nobody with an issue because of a sea strainer but always an extra precaution for sure-but it won't stop the sand putting the grooves inside your brass impeller!).

p.s. I flush my engine 24/7 immediately after coming out of water (dawn dish liquid/salt away, whatever). Never ever left in whatever overnight! It will happen!

Last edited by baja25sst; 08-25-2011 at 05:28 PM.