Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hurricane at the Jersey Shore >

Hurricane at the Jersey Shore

Notices

Hurricane at the Jersey Shore

Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About three hours ago the projected landfall was the mouth of the Mullica river (about exit 50) on the GSP.I fell it will hit in southern Maryland but I'm no expert.Everyone is leaving south Jersey Brigantine and south are mandatory evacuations thats probably overkill but who knows.Mine's on the trailer sold my lift last year glad I don't have to get it off tonight.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I'm not an expert on hurricanes or boat lifts. But, if you have a trailer and truck, why take the risk of leaving the boat on the lift?
ditto...we just pulled my buddy's scarab cc from a very sheltered part of the CT River, because we have a trailer and truck. His boat and mine are resting comfortably 10 miles inland away from the big trees....there's still too much summer left to leave these things to chance...
c
Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Registered

I have a place in the 1000 Islands due North of Cape Vincent, NY. Anyone who is jammed up without a place to keep there boat let me know. I have an acre of parking and 40ft of dock space, SORRY I cant offer indoor storage, but, I will be there all next week, so, your stuff will be safe and dry.

Long drive from NYC, but I thought I would send the offer anyway, lets hope this thing misses NY.

Michael
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, pull it out !!!! my gibson(50') is right in the path...can't pull it out so getting ready to move out of slip and anchor out and pray for the best !!!! no question if I had the option to pull out !!!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One added problem for the boats on lifts is that the boat floats up and squashes the windshield, deck, sun pad, upholstery, etc. into the top of the lift and roof of the dock building. You are doing the right thing by pulling it out.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

I guess its kinda like parachuting, or sex......when in Doubt? Pull it out!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Net Ressult

I stayed on my Canteliever Lift and raised it another 2' or so. Jim from Atlantic Marine came by my house to show me the by-pass (I would highly recommend them, they are good people). All ended well. Roads and some marina's flooded but I was high and dry. Water in my part of TR didnt breach teh Bulkhead. Truth be known, in the inevitable future, I would pull teh boat and bring it to Morris County :0

thanks for the input and hope all are well and safe.
Danny