Mercruiser Gimbal Bearing >

Mercruiser Gimbal Bearing

Notices

Mercruiser Gimbal Bearing

Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser Gimbal Bearing

I have 2008 Merc B3 Seacore drives with the 496 HO engines in my Formula SS350 and I recently had my marina replace a loud gimbal bearing. I studied the drive and found that the grease fitting, which still has anifouling paint on it from when new, seems to me has never been greased. I brought this up to the marina and said that my guess would be it failed due to lack of proper maintenance. They kind of got snotty with me a claim that even though there is a grease fitting, they do not get greased because they are permanently lubricated.

Could this be true? Why would there still be a fitting?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, the newer bearings are perma-lube. Not sure when they changed. Do you have the old bearing? New style bearing has a white dot. It is entirely possible that the casting has a grease fitting event though it has new bearing.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That uses the same bearing as my TRS uses in the trans tailstock. They changed to the sealed type bearing. When you buy a new one a plug comes with it to replace the grease fitting if you wish to. I quess so no one tries to put grease into it.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Registered

Wow, I am not crazy about that. In all the years I have had Mercruiser outdrives, I have never had a gimbal bearing go bad, but I also religiously greased them.

Three year old boat with 70 hours and the bearing goes is
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just wait ,the next step will be whem mercruiser makes the old style lubeable bearing NLA then doubles the price on the new one!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Just wait ,the next step will be whem mercruiser makes the old style lubeable bearing NLA then doubles the price on the new one!
I think they are NLA unless someone has one in stock somewhere.. The new sealed ones use the same part number as the old style.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DO Raymond
I brought this up to the marina and said that my guess would be it failed due to lack of proper maintenance.
I think they recommend that you check engine alignment every year to preserve the coupler and gimble bearing.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Omc bearings are the same as the older merc bearings and are greaseable. They are also $20 cheaper
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Registered

As long as there is no water entering into the bellows area.... AND, you pull the drive to inspect alignment and re-grease the splines, the gimbal bearing should last along time. Ditto for non-greasable u-joints too!!! BTW, theer is no reason.... to have a non-greasable bearing installed in the hsg but a zerc fitting on the outside of the transom bracket... that's just lazy people....