Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And a spoon to stir with.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennsoil has a 25-50wt racing oil that I use if you can find it, very high zixc content
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nitrousnolan
What about Brad Penn

i use brad penn oil and its worked great for years. the only downfall is its sort of hard to find distributors that are close. i usually am running flat tappets, so its nice to know the zinc is adequate. plus i buy it to support the local market and refineries (i'm a pa resident). its pumped, refined, bottled, and distributed all from pa crude. just me .02.....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cubicinches
I think Brad Penn has some excellent products as well. Their products are typically lower cost than the Gibbs oils, and I do believe that their break in oil does have levels of zinc and phophorus close to, or equal that of the Gibbs BR. I believe their break in oil is available only in straight 30W, which I feel is fine for dyno work, but for actual break-in in the boat, I prefer a higher viscosity, such as the Gibbs BR, as oil temps will be higher.

Gibbs is also very specific about how they tailor their additive packages. The level of detergents in an oil is all important to it's performance and service life. This alone is the single biggest reason that diesel oils, such as Rotella T, are not as hot of a ticket as many people believe. Do they work? Yes. Are they the best product out there for flat tappet engines? Definitely not. Some excellent info on the subject here:
http://joegibbsdriven.com/trainingce...aboutzinc.html

Brad Penn also offers no synthetic motor oils... If you're running an engine with roller valvetrain, which sees sustained periods of operation at 240+ oil temp, you'd better be using synthetic oil...

This should be enough info to send this thread down the same road that all oil threads eventually go down...

Anyway, Gibbs and Brad Penn are both excellent products in my opinion.
240 degrees is no way a temp you should be worried about.

They test oil in the lab at 210 degrees.

If you were running 340 for extended periods of time, yes synthetic is the only way to go if you would expect any life out of the oil.

YOU MUST REMEMBER, NOT ALL SYNTHETICS ARE GROUP IV OR GROUP V BASE STOCKS.

If the oil blender uses a Group III base stock, yes it is called a "synthetic" but it is nothing but a highly refined petroleum base oil, streching the definition of synthetic.

Ken

Last edited by minxguy; 09-12-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hondahp4
i use brad penn oil and its worked great for years. the only downfall is its sort of hard to find distributors that are close. i usually am running flat tappets, so its nice to know the zinc is adequate. plus i buy it to support the local market and refineries (i'm a pa resident). its pumped, refined, bottled, and distributed all from pa crude. just me .02.....
I don't think they are pumping much crude out of PA these days.

But PA TYPE crude is availible from other parts of the US.

Ken
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

castrol full sythedic 20 50 is made special with extra zinc and other stuff for flat tappet cams say on it for older cars that need more zinc
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by minxguy
I don't think they are pumping much crude out of PA these days.

But PA TYPE crude is availible from other parts of the US.

Ken
most of northwestern pa is littered with oil wells. its mostly swapped to natural gas in the allegheny forest and shale wells around pittsburgh, but there's still quite a bit of oil coming out of pa. i see bad penn uses the term "100% pure pennsylvania GRADE crude oil" now instead of 100% pennsylvania crude. brad penn may not use 100% pa crude anymore, but its still a local company that i'm all for supporting. the more us based raw materials and us based companies i can support, the less we rely on foreign support.

Last edited by hondahp4; 09-12-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Something we don't hear that often, Made in USA, works for me ! http://www.penngrade1.com/
Old 09-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
Something we don't hear that often, Made in USA, works for me ! http://www.penngrade1.com/
I must agree with the USA, but would go with one of these...
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrf.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aro.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd50.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.