Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What is the fastest small block boat? >

What is the fastest small block boat?

Notices

What is the fastest small block boat?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess low 80's in my 28 Powerplay is not even close w fuel injected small blocks
Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philm
30 Skater on here with twin small block LS7's. around 700hp a side N/A.

You were probably talking about vee hulls though.
That is Jim's. Look up posts by JIMKIDMOTORSPORTS.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
What type of boat and what are your plans for the engines? Sounds like a fun project.
It's a 30' Regal Velocity.

Engines will be getting a new cam for sure and refreshened.
I'm debating on boring and stroking them as they are currently a 427ci small block.

Sunsations turning 7000 rpm, doesn't sound too nice for the bravo drives. If I recall correctly a bravo is made for 5500 max (though maybe I'm wrong).
Does sound like a killer package for sure though, and looked great running.

So 100 mph is the mark to beat, most likely out of my grasp then with out blowers haha.
Are those Nascar motors pump gas or race fuel? Maybe I can get the pump gas record haha.

*Edit* Just noticed the compression, they are pump gas, that kind of disappoints. Oh well maybe I'll for sure have one of the faster rides though.

Last edited by Kings11; 09-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Can you go much more on stroke? 427 is 4 inch stroke in a 4.125 bore. Wouldn't you need a taller deck and raised cam block?

Last edited by cheech; 09-17-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
It's a 30' Regal Velocity.

Engines will be getting a new cam for sure and refreshened.
I'm debating on boring and stroking them as they are currently a 427ci small block.

Sunsations turning 7000 rpm, doesn't sound too nice for the bravo drives. If I recall correctly a bravo is made for 5500 max (though maybe I'm wrong).
Does sound like a killer package for sure though, and looked great running.

So 100 mph is the mark to beat, most likely out of my grasp then with out blowers haha.
Are those Nascar motors pump gas or race fuel? Maybe I can get the pump gas record haha.

*Edit* Just noticed the compression, they are pump gas, that kind of disappoints. Oh well maybe I'll for sure have one of the faster rides though.
We raced a 30 special built Regal Velocity (Kevlar/Epoxy) with 2 372 CI at 7200 RPM. It can get expensive. I also had a Regal I bought new that delaminated and sunk. Regal is a great company they just had some early boats that had some issues. check your structure before you run it too hard.
Steve
Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

When I purchased the boat it came with a survey down the month before. I bought it with out power, gimbals, and drives.

The transom was sound, not even the slightest hint of water ever being in it. The boat was completely gone through by the same man who looks after or at least looked after My Way, for Bill Tomlinson.

The floor was taken up in 2006, and stringers re-sealed and the boat gone over, and what ever slightest bit of damage was fixed.

The blocks can take 4.125 stroke with out any machine worked required in a standard deck. The amount of material to bore is mind boggling.

If we go ahead stroke & bore them we will walk away with 450ci. So it's not the biggest of changes but does make a bit of a change. The cams are for sure getting swapped out for a Billet Cam.

My engine builder who has built 80 some marine motors over the years, for my dad, doesn't tell me all the secrets and I don't both ask. So sorry if I can't answer any of your questions. It's a line of information. He tells my dad so much, who in turn tells me so much.

I do know I have my hands on some labbed Maximus props 28 pitch right now to see if I can spin them up to 5000+ rpm and get a 4-5 mph gain.

Last edited by Kings11; 09-18-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

How bout Weismann's 40 footer running over 100mph with ls7 crate engines turning 7000rpm with only a cam swap. There was a video of it somewhere with killer audio of the engines screaming. That thing's awesome..

434's a good small block combo and there's no problem making 650-700 on pump gas.