Notices

Formula 223

Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 223

I have a 89 Formula 223 with a stock low hr 330hp 7.4 what is the easiest way to get some more power out of that engine I would like to be able to pull a 21 pitch prop fully loaded.Can I replace the peanut port heads with std oval or rectangle port heads without notching the bore? Would performance intake and exhaust be enough?.Right now I have a 4 blade ss19pitch and at 5000 rpms I run about 56mph with 2 people and 3/4 tank of fuel I would like to get mid 60s out of it. Thanks for any info
Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

There are certainly better heads out there, but everything costs money. What's your budget?

Peanut ports will support 400hp with nothing more than a little bowl work and light cleanup.

You sound like you aren't planning on pulling the motor, though, so some real helpful stuff will be impossible to do - like:

Bore Notching - any 454 will benefit from bore notching to unshroud the valves for better flow.

Decking the block - you will benefit from reducing the squish to .035"-.040". This measurement is from the piston "flat" to the head surface. If the piston is dead even with the block deck surface, then the squish will be the thickness of the compressed head gasket. Most likely your pistons are down "in the holes" a good ways and decking will be necessary to get the squish where you want it. The other choice is to use custom headgaskets, which are expensive and not recommended for recreational marine use.

Both of those are worth the money to pull down the block and have them done. Not doing so will leave 30 "free" hp on the table.

Then you need a good dual plane intake such as the GM aluminum Dual Plane or an Edelbrock Performer (the regular one). Your stock carb and ignition are adequate.

And a cam/lifter/spring set. The Crane "Merc 420" is a decent cam, and isn't overkill. You may can get away with the "next nastier" cam if you don't need holeshot, but you will likely need to deck the heads a little to create combustion pressure with more cam.

Now, regarding your current setup. You are turning 5,000 rpm with a 19" prop with a stock 330. You're about 300 rpm above the hp peak of your motor. The cam in your motor doesn't make more hp above 4700. Your STOCK motor should be propped for about 4500 with a full load. Once you recam it, you can spin it a little more and make power but you're already underpropped.

Good luck.
MC
Old 09-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

I have a set of performance oval port heads that according to the head num will be around 112 to 115cc and a set of roller rocker arms the heads are fresh but have cheep ss valves in them so I run the heads I wanted to at least upgrade the ex valves to inconel.I have a performer intake as well.I also have a brand new ss 4blade prop that came with the boat I haven't put it on yet because with people in it it digs in pretty hard as it is I know it will only be worse with the 21 on it.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

mcollinstn gave you some good advise! In addition to that:
Do not spin a modified 330 engine past 5000 rpms.
What are the "other" heads your talking about?
Also like mcollinstn said make sure you match the springs to the cam, if you don't you will most likely not make the power you could or worse.... Others I'm sure will chime in here but you limited to what you can do with the cast internals that are in your engine.
The 223 is a fun boat, enjoy!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
mcollinstn gave you some good advise! In addition to that:
Do not spin a modified 330 engine past 5000 rpms.
What are the "other" heads your talking about?
Also like mcollinstn said make sure you match the springs to the cam, if you don't you will most likely not make the power you could or worse.... Others I'm sure will chime in here but you limited to what you can do with the cast internals that are in your engine.
The 223 is a fun boat, enjoy!
I have a pair of 781 heads and a pair of 049 I am basically looking for the best bang for the buck I know the cast internals can only hold so much before they fail. I have been building engine for years just completely novice when it comes to marine.Not that it applies but you guys might get a kick out of it her is a video of my dragster we run a small block chevy blown on anywhere from 90 to 100 percent nitro it currently is the second quickest chevy. I appreciate any info on the boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFLIHqdOl0
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

So are you pulling the motor for the mods or are you dead set on leaving it in the boat?

Inconel valves? You don't need them. Stainless valves are fine unless you are planning on supercharging or spraying it - and if so, then you need a better rotating assembly.

The oval ports are fine, too.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
So are you pulling the motor for the mods or are you dead set on leaving it in the boat?

Inconel valves? You don't need them. Stainless valves are fine unless you are planning on supercharging or spraying it - and if so, then you need a better rotating assembly.

The oval ports are fine, too.
It looks like if I am going to do a cam change I will have to pull the motor and If I pull it then I will most likely notch the bores and take it all the way apart.Do you think the heads and an intake will get me into the 60mph range?