Hydraulic Steering Questions, Alpha

Notices

Hydraulic Steering Questions, Alpha

Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering Questions, Alpha

Hi,

I'm in the market for a dual ram external steering setup for my C18 and have a couple of questions perhaps someone can answer. It's a 1998 Merc, small block with power steering and an alpha. Because I really don't have steering or porpoising issues but am just looking to brace the drive I'm thinking an add-on system. Besides the idea of running 4 hoses to the helm sounds like a PITA. Anyway.... With an add-on system do you get torque feedback to the wheel? Does the wheel become annoyingly stiff? (I know, subjective). Does the lock to lock number of turns change? Finally, the kit places the ram mounts close enough to the drive that they'll be on the thick portion of the transom. Do I still need to reinforce or use a backing plate? It's a low 80's mph boat. CP quoted me a Zeiger system which I like because the external hoses pass through the mounting block but there's not much info out there.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Can't speak for an add on system, I did a full dual ram system on my C-18, there's a thread on Donzi.net search under my same user name as here for some pics, what's in your 18 to get low 80's?

Steve
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered

Hi, I'm a Donzi.net member too and saw your post. Did a lot of searches but still couldn't find any solid answers to my questions. Nobody talked about the feedback from the prop torque with an add-on, unless I missed it.

As for the engine, it's a stroker 350. Originally a 350 mag it's now a 383 with an MP115 magnacharger. The Merc MEfI was replaced with an ACCEL DFI. Individual cylinder trim is a must with this blower. It dynoed at 572 HP. Probably 525 or less in the boat. I've been running it for around 4 years and am finally happy with how it runs. A lot of learning and tweeking starting from scratch with a blower and fuel injection. This was not a kit. Anyway now I want to maximize the prop and hull setup. I'm hoping the rams will add strength and stability as I try to get more of the boat out of the water.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Full hydraulic is the most stable, dual ram still uses the Brazil valve, which will let the boat walk around at high speed.