Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Scared to go WOT too long >

Scared to go WOT too long

Notices

Scared to go WOT too long

Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have oil temp guages, get them. Having the oil heat up and thin out is a major cause of engine failure with this kind of boating. Back off at 260, measured in the pan.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Syn Oil !!!

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
If you don't have oil temp guages, get them. Having the oil heat up and thin out is a major cause of engine failure with this kind of boating. Back off at 260, measured in the pan.
This is the primary reason for a good synthetic motor oil.

Probably the hottest part of a motor for motor oil is when the crankcase oil splashes on the bottom of the pistons. A conventional oil is IMO not up to this extreme.

I bet if you ask most of the offshore racers on the APBA circuit, they would be running syn oil.

It all comes down to an oils ability to prevent shear and prevent metal to metal contact. IMO
Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

What size and type of engine is the thread starter referring to?

That makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Just re-read the thread. With 625 horse I wouldn't be worried about floggin it for a long period.

It's like anything else, if you drive it like you stole it, you're gonna have to rebuild it quicker that's all.... higher rpm, higher temps, higher cylinder pressure, inertia, more revs on the valvetrain... etc. etc. = faster wear.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
The real answer to this question is directly related to how fat your wallet is.

Bottom line. Rich guys have spares of everything waiting for a failure and they have guys to do the work for them.

Like most things in life, it comes down to money.

x2
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Tomato
How long will you run wot???????
Till your out of fuel!!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of speed are you running in a 24x7 with 625? That motor has to be barely working to push that light ass hull. My buddy has a 25 aggressor which is basicly the same boat and he has a 330 HP and he pegs the limiter every chance he gets for as long as he has too..
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z
This is the primary reason for a good synthetic motor oil.

Probably the hottest part of a motor for motor oil is when the crankcase oil splashes on the bottom of the pistons. A conventional oil is IMO not up to this extreme.

I bet if you ask most of the offshore racers on the APBA circuit, they would be running syn oil.

It all comes down to an oils ability to prevent shear and prevent metal to metal contact. IMO
Yes and no... when I change mine it comes out looking like I just put it in (every 15-20hrs) I use NAPA and can do it for way less than the synthetics. I don't rely on my fluids. I maintain accordingly.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Yes and no... when I change mine it comes out looking like I just put it in (every 15-20hrs) I use NAPA and can do it for way less than the synthetics. I don't rely on my fluids. I maintain accordingly.
The way an oil looks is not a good gauge. Dirty looking oil only tells you that the oil is doing its job.

The topic was in regards to WOT for long periods of time. Unless you are running an oil cooler or even if you are any type of oil breakdown is going to rapidly increase internal wear.

Not sure how NAPA oil is going to compare to Amsoil Syn or any other syn. High performance engines require a high performance Syn Oil for High Rpm WOT operation.

If you are running Conventional Oil, Yes you better be changing on a regular basis because you can never be sure on the degraded protection around the 20th hour??

IMO conventional oil is only good at best for breakin purposes only, and then switch syn to protect the investment.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast???

Originally Posted by stlliberator
What kind of speed are you running in a 24x7 with 625? That motor has to be barely working to push that light ass hull. My buddy has a 25 aggressor which is basicly the same boat and he has a 330 HP and he pegs the limiter every chance he gets for as long as he has too..
Boat runs low 80's, so far. Still have a few things that I want to add though. Fun boat!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.