Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
13 plate oil cooler or Teague cooler? >

13 plate oil cooler or Teague cooler?

Notices

13 plate oil cooler or Teague cooler?

Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 plate oil cooler or Teague cooler?

I am up grading my oil cooler and can’t decide between a 13 plate oil cooler and Teague oil cooler. Has anybody run both styles which one cools better for a 1000HP on long runs? Trying to keep the oil temp down to 220 degrees or less at WOT.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14608...-assembly.aspx

http://teaguecustommarine.com/index....il-cooler.html
Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe the plate style coolers are more effiecient. I would think that a 13 plate cooler would do it. What size oil pans are you running and what water temps?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great question! It really depends on the style of bell housing you are running.

We run our 4" dual pass cooler on all of our Bravo applications up to 1000hp+. We have noticed that they are much for efficient than a std 3" cooler and also makes the plumbing a breeze. We make SS brackets that allows for easy and solid mounting to the stringer or a floor. We see oil temps to consistently run under 160 deg with non thermostatted engine water.

As for the Transmission set-ups, we run the the 13 plate coolers on the bell housings. They work awesome, they hold the same constantly cold temps. With the bell housing coolers, we have a trick set up to run a separate cooler between the coolers.

Honestly, I would recommend you to goeither way and we can help you to plumb both correctly and efficiently. I would recommend to run either -20 or 1 1/4" hoses for your water and -12 or 3/4" for your oil.

Give us a call if you have any questions at all!! -Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
www.teaguecustommarine.com
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I believe the plate style coolers are more effiecient. I would think that a 13 plate cooler would do it. What size oil pans are you running and what water temps?
Dooley 14QT water temp 110.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

I have 1-1/4" water and #12 oil lines now.

Originally Posted by teaguecustommarine
Great question! It really depends on the style of bell housing you are running.

We run our 4" dual pass cooler on all of our Bravo applications up to 1000hp+. We have noticed that they are much for efficient than a std 3" cooler and also makes the plumbing a breeze. We make SS brackets that allows for easy and solid mounting to the stringer or a floor. We see oil temps to consistently run under 160 deg with non thermostatted engine water.

As for the Transmission set-ups, we run the the 13 plate coolers on the bell housings. They work awesome, they hold the same constantly cold temps. With the bell housing coolers, we have a trick set up to run a separate cooler between the coolers.

Honestly, I would recommend you to goeither way and we can help you to plumb both correctly and efficiently. I would recommend to run either -20 or 1 1/4" hoses for your water and -12 or 3/4" for your oil.

Give us a call if you have any questions at all!! -Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
www.teaguecustommarine.com