Weiand 177 Blower Question

Notices

Weiand 177 Blower Question

Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weiand 177 Blower Question

I winterized my boat this weekend. During the process it was discovered that I need to rebuild my carb. When I removed the carb and looked the blower rotors had a tiny tint of gold, not a bunch but maybe a hint, like it has gotten a tiny bit hot and it looks like the rotors are scraping each other. They are not hitting the housing of the blower, just each other. What do you all suggest I do and how much would it cost me?
I am running a 1992 525 SC and I do not believe the blower has ever been touched.
Thanks in advance guys, jeeze it has been a long time since I have been out here!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 PM

if the rotors are hitting each other it means that one of the rotor gears is probably no longer torqued correctly, this allows back and forth play in the rotor and causes it to contact the other one. I would drain the lube, pull the front cover, stick a rag in the top to jam the rotors and check the torque on both rotor gear nuts, one will likely be looser than the other.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

that sounds easy enough!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 PM

also, check the bearings both front and back. A worn bearing could have the same effect. You can buy sealed bearings (whole set) new very reasonably on ebay.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered

I would take it off and send it out to be serviced. That little blower has to work hard to make boost, so it must be 100% set up right. I replaced the bearings in mine at 165 hours and they were loose.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

how much does it cost to have it reworked and where would I send it around here<Topeka, Kansas>?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The blowers on my 575SCI Cigarette were sent out to The Blower Shop in Cali. for refresh. Bearings/seals etc, it was reasonable, something like $350 each I believe.

How was your season otherwise OLcowgirl? Great to see you at the Shoot Out!

Kurt
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

That is not too bad of a price. I have heard good things about the Blower Shop. How long does it take to get it back?

So, could I be losing HP because of this? I believe I was losing some with the fact the carb was sucking air.

My season was awesome this year, thanks for asking. Had to finally put in new battries in B-Nauti, had the same ones as when I bought her from Griff, but other than that, it was a great season. We met a lot of great new people and was out 100 times more than year before.

Shootout was AWESOME this year. Most fun I have had in few years! Planning on running next year if I can find the leak in the boat, refresh the blower and rebuild the carb.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Now would be a good time to upgrade to a 250 or 256 blower! Really depends on how bad yours are. If its just bearings/seals, thats one thing. But if the rotors are toast, gears, etc, you might be better off picking up another blower. I went from a 177 to a 250, and picked up a few mph.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

I think it should be okay and as much as I would LOVE to have more HP, I would really prefer to just have mine reworked. I do not believe it has ever been worked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.