DUI Distributor Roll Pin >

DUI Distributor Roll Pin

Notices

DUI Distributor Roll Pin

Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUI Distributor Roll Pin

Ok guys, seasons over and my friend pulled the camshaft out of his 454 to make a small upgrade, I don't really know the specs of the new one and it really doesn't matter for this post.

He got the cam and it came with a distributor gear, when we went to install the gear on the DUI we knocked the old roll pin out and went to press it back in with the new gear and it didn't go in smooth, we pulled it back apart and to my surprise, DUI uses a 13/64th's??? roll pin diameter (measured the hole about .202"), the distributor gear that cam with the cam is 3/16, just like every other distributor I've ever dealt with.

Why in the world would they do this? a) it's impossible to find that size and b) why on earth would you do anything but standard (maybe they want you to buy the gear from them???)? They are sending him a new roll pin and I'm having a machine shop drill out the gear so it's not really any big deal. I should have measured, but hey that's life.

We can't be the only ones to ever run across this. What gives?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

What does DUI say ??
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander
Ok guys, seasons over and my friend pulled the camshaft out of his 454 to make a small upgrade, I don't really know the specs of the new one and it really doesn't matter for this post.

He got the cam and it came with a distributor gear, when we went to install the gear on the DUI we knocked the old roll pin out and went to press it back in with the new gear and it didn't go in smooth, we pulled it back apart and to my surprise, DUI uses a 13/64th's??? roll pin diameter (measured the hole about .202"), the distributor gear that cam with the cam is 3/16, just like every other distributor I've ever dealt with.

Why in the world would they do this? a) it's impossible to find that size and b) why on earth would you do anything but standard (maybe they want you to buy the gear from them???)? They are sending him a new roll pin and I'm having a machine shop drill out the gear so it's not really any big deal. I should have measured, but hey that's life.

We can't be the only ones to ever run across this. What gives?
the answer is simple,dui is chinese made chit,just drill it to fit
Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the answer is simple,dui is chinese made chit,just drill it to fit
+ 1 also try rotating the gear 180* some times their drilled off center..
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUI is sending us a new Roll pin, they gave no reason for using a stupid size, but did say there gears would work for $75...a-holes... I had our metal shop at work drill out the gear to match...

It is funny about the Chinese comments now, when this was the recommended distributor when he asked on this site before (not sure what his screen name is on here) -- All we know is a stand alone MSD was looking pretty good once we found that out...it's just a 454/330 in a mid-80's formula so it's not like he needed something hi-po.

Oh well, I guess the lesson is, measure because you never know when you run into Chinese garbage I guess
Old 10-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander
DUI is sending us a new Roll pin, they gave no reason for using a stupid size, but did say there gears would work for $75...a-holes... I had our metal shop at work drill out the gear to match...

It is funny about the Chinese comments now, when this was the recommended distributor when he asked on this site before (not sure what his screen name is on here) -- All we know is a stand alone MSD was looking pretty good once we found that out...it's just a 454/330 in a mid-80's formula so it's not like he needed something hi-po.

Oh well, I guess the lesson is, measure because you never know when you run into Chinese garbage I guess
yep,the chinese are fluding the market with their chit,now they are making counterfit msd ignition boxes,they even put a bogus serial number on them.its hard to tell that they are fakes.always buy msd products from a dealer who orders right from msd.