Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
new 25 sxt cat owner. advice???? >

new 25 sxt cat owner. advice????

Notices

new 25 sxt cat owner. advice????

Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default new 25 sxt cat owner. advice????

hi everybody. i recently bought a bare hull and have built the boat from the ground up. now i am learning to driv the boat while test and tuning it.

-1991 25 warlock sxt
-a legit 500 HP BBC
-bravo one w noscone
-28p hydromotive

this is my first cat so im just tryin to get some feedback on the hull handling characteristics. i am inexperienced in driving catamarans (have owned several v hulls) and just want to get some advice/pointers from those who have more seat time. i realize that my boat is not a fast boat...(85 mph or so) but i just want to know what im doing as much as possible and be able to recognize a dangerous situation when i see it and avoid unknowingly running wide open into a bad situation out of pure ignorance.

we took off the 28 small hub racing prop and went out today and tested a 28 lab finish hydromotive 4 blade. holeshot was WAY better and the performance seemed improved accross the board.....although i cannot say for sure because when we got to about 80 on GPS the boat seemed to get really loose. the wind was gusting and the water was choppy.....really smooth ride and even though the boat was moving around on the water alot it still felt in control......i.e. - it would wander around but stayed going straight if that makes any sense. at this point i felt that i was driving beyond my eperience level with the wind blowing the way it was and decided that this was not the day for a top end run.

i have only ridden/driven one other cat....2600 AO that runs 100+...and it seems to start to get the same feeling at about 80 or so as well.

i live on lake cumberland in KY and plan on runnin this lake wide open! lol i researched htis boat prior to buyin it....and everyone says its a great lake boat for poker runs and such so i figured it would fit my bill perfectly.

few questions:

1 - is it normal for a cat of this size to get really loose feeling at the speed being discussed here??

2 - what speed should the boat start to feel "unglued" to the water?

3 - is it safe to continue to accelerate when the boat is moving around????

4 - is there more danger when travelling at speed of 80-90 mph when the wind is gusting?

5 - what are some signs of danger in a boat like this.....like when should i back out of the throttle?

sorry if these questions seem elementary and even ignorant but im just tryin to be as safe as i can and goin into the "cat game" with as much info/experience as i can.

so far i gotta say i love it! the ride in a cat is second to none and the ease of loading and unloading is great. oh yeah....and the MPH per horspower isnt bad either! lol

thanks to all who took the time to read this novel....lol

Max
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 1990 25 sxt, never ran a cat before, really curious about the feed back to your questions, I'm installing a 565 bbc w/ 700hp. the guy before me had a blown 572 and claims that he ran 118mph on gps. not sure if thats poss but if so thats gittin' it !!!!!