proping my cat >

proping my cat

Notices

proping my cat

Old 06-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How well does your application plane out?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

With 6 people lots of fuel not as good as Iwould like. With 2 people it does good
Old 06-13-2002, 10:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ok. Sounds like it'll be better than my old application. That one would NOT plane with two people in a heavy chop. I'll proably be reall please with this one! I may just raise it an inch before it even gets to the water. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cord, I have been following some of your posts. I plan on doing a similar project for my next boat. Anyway I am very interested in how it all comes out. Now the first question is did your motor make 600 HP on the dyno with all accessories and the headers you are going to be running? If that is the case than you will be at around 570 HP at the prop. In the Jan 1999 hot boat they tested a 26 Firehawk with a 502 EFI 415 prop HP at 77.9 MPH on radar. Using this known (actual not estimated) prop HP as a guideline I would say mid 80's to 90 MPH is a good safe estimate. With the box you may need to play with some different drive heights and it may take some time, but that is half the fun.
Now if your motor made 600 HP on the dyno with dyno headers and no accessories then we have a different story. Accessories rob 25 HP and dyno headers are generally full length and are good for probably 10 HP over a set of CMI E-tops and maybe even more than that over cast aluminum types. That would put you at 535 at the prop and probably 85 to 87 MPH. If you actually do have 600 at the prop (approx 665 with no accessories and dyno headers) than you are looking low to mid 90's right in the eye. I think a 28 bravo is a great prop to start out with. I hope it does 100 MPH for ya. The old boating school of hard knocks has just taught me to look a little on the pesimistic side and be pleasantly surprised if it is faster. Great project and get some pictures for us!!! Oh ya the water pressure controller can be purchased for $175 if you are interested.

Last edited by WETTE VETTE; 06-13-2002 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:48 AM
blowncarrera777

Hey Catnaround a little off the subject, but I,m looking for a 26 AO, and any info pro/con you could relay would be great also type of power and perforformance you get and ride. Thanks Ken

Old 06-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Here are a couple of pics. These were taken way back in Febuary, but things havn't changed all that much!
Attached Thumbnails proping my cat-boat.jpg  
Old 06-14-2002, 09:06 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Attached Thumbnails proping my cat-boat1.jpg  
Old 06-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

This my nephew. I'm hoping that he'll let me drive a few times! Whenever I come over, he asks right away if I brought the purple boat! lol!
Attached Thumbnails proping my cat-boat2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very nice!!!

Do you think it is more economical to purchase all of the parts or just buy the boat W/O power, but ready. I know Cougar and some other companies will sell boats in various stages of completion. I don't worry about the labor because I will do most of it myself, but the parts are what I am unsure of. How much better will you come out if any if you don't mind? I priced a 22' Cougar MTR and it goes for approx 38 less engine, but wired and ready for a drop in and that includes a drive and transom assy and all gauges. They sell the same boat for 26 with seats and the necessary holes cut in the transom only. Basically all gauges, wiring, motor mounts, engine accessories, drive, and acessories will need to be purchased and installed. I doubt 12 G is enough to get that done. Now you can buy a 22 with a base BBC for around 42, which is probably the most economical. I am sure a new 7.4 MPi would sell for 3 to 4 G W/O to much trouble. When do you plan on taking the maiden voyage? Keep us posted!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, I've really pinched my pennies and have bought alot of used stuff off of the board. With all of the stuff that I've traded, had already on hand, or bought I'm under 47k. I think that's a good deal for a boat that runs this quick. The hull was a 2000 model with gauges, wiring, interior, and gimble that I got for 28,500 on the trailer. It's been ALOT of work, I have 6 months into the project already, and have at least 3 more to go, but I've enjoyed it. I've learned alot, and although it wasn't necessarily done right, it was done my way! Anyways, because of some wiring issues, I think that next time I'll just order the boat less wiring but I'm not sure about the gauges. Mind you, that this would add alot more work to the schedule.

Quick Reply: proping my cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.