EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI for everyone

A lot of people are reluctant to modify their efi engines because of the whole "tuning" issue. Who can do it, who can't, whether it can be done on the dyno or has to be done in the boat, etc. Other then Eddie who will drive all over the country, most guys won't leave their shop and to tune a MEFI system on the water and it's very time consuming. On top of that, the MEFI system is a dinosaur. Anyone who has tuned their own with MEFI burn knows how tedious it can be and how limited the software is if you're not an engineer. MEFI 3's and 4's are no longer being produced either. At the end of last year I started using the Holley HP and Dominator EFI system and can't say enough good things about it. The ECM is fully potted and can be mounted to the engine, all the terminals are GM style weatherpack and you can get a bunch of different types of harnesses for any application. It's self learning so all you need to do is load a base tune to get up and running and tell it what target afr you're want. If you can post a message on this forum you can figure out the software, it's incredibly easy and user friendly. The nice thing about the self learning feature is you can leave your 02 sensor in for a month and it will tune for different weather, 2 people on the boat or 10, different props, loads, etc. and then turn it off and remove it when you're done. It's also easy to make multiple maps and switch between them. You could make a high elevation map for the lake, and one for the ocean, 93 octane or 89 octane, etc. If you change heads or a cam down the road no problem, just plug the 02 back in and go drive around. For about $1400 you can get an ecm and harness that will plug in in place of your MEFI in a couple of hours. I've used FAST an Bigstuff and neither of them give you all the features and options of the Holley. Wanna run 20 injectors and dual wideband, meth injection, coil on plug, internal data logging, drive by wire, digital gauges with one wire hook up, multiple programmable inputs and outputs, dual knock sensors, reverse rotation. No problem. Check out the Holley EFI website and download the software for free to play around with. I've got about 20 different base maps from small blocks, whippled 502's, NA 557's, 502MAG's, procharged LS, etc. for anyone that needs help getting started.

This my personal opinion... If you've got an old MEFI, throw it in the garbage, and if you've got a modern Merc ECM send it to Mark Boos at Precision Marine.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Sounds nice, I just spent ALOT of hours on the dyno tuning a custom mefi set-up that I put on a Pontiac, I still have to tune it in the car and had quite a few minor glitches/issue's on the dyno,Not sure I want to do another one anytime soon. I will be checking out the self tuning features. Can you tell me how the target afr's are broken up? IE: can you tell it you want 13.0-1 afr at 80 map at 3000 but 13.5-1 at 4000 and 14.1-1 at 5000? That's what I always wondered with the self tuning efi's, Smitty
Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Download the free software and have a look. http://www.holley.com/550-604.asp

Last edited by GPM; 11-16-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Sounds nice, I just spent ALOT of hours on the dyno tuning a custom mefi set-up that I put on a Pontiac, I still have to tune it in the car and had quite a few minor glitches/issue's on the dyno,Not sure I want to do another one anytime soon. I will be checking out the self tuning features. Can you tell me how the target afr's are broken up? IE: can you tell it you want 13.0-1 afr at 80 map at 3000 but 13.5-1 at 4000 and 14.1-1 at 5000? That's what I always wondered with the self tuning efi's, Smitty
Ya, the target AFR is just like a fuel map. You choose any afr you want for a given rpm and kpa
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
A lot of people are reluctant to modify their efi engines because of the whole "tuning" issue. Who can do it, who can't, whether it can be done on the dyno or has to be done in the boat, etc. Other then Eddie who will drive all over the country, most guys won't leave their shop and to tune a MEFI system on the water and it's very time consuming. On top of that, the MEFI system is a dinosaur. Anyone who has tuned their own with MEFI burn knows how tedious it can be and how limited the software is if you're not an engineer. MEFI 3's and 4's are no longer being produced either. At the end of last year I started using the Holley HP and Dominator EFI system and can't say enough good things about it. The ECM is fully potted and can be mounted to the engine, all the terminals are GM style weatherpack and you can get a bunch of different types of harnesses for any application. It's self learning so all you need to do is load a base tune to get up and running and tell it what target afr you're want. If you can post a message on this forum you can figure out the software, it's incredibly easy and user friendly. The nice thing about the self learning feature is you can leave your 02 sensor in for a month and it will tune for different weather, 2 people on the boat or 10, different props, loads, etc. and then turn it off and remove it when you're done. It's also easy to make multiple maps and switch between them. You could make a high elevation map for the lake, and one for the ocean, 93 octane or 89 octane, etc. If you change heads or a cam down the road no problem, just plug the 02 back in and go drive around. For about $1400 you can get an ecm and harness that will plug in in place of your MEFI in a couple of hours. I've used FAST an Bigstuff and neither of them give you all the features and options of the Holley. Wanna run 20 injectors and dual wideband, meth injection, coil on plug, internal data logging, drive by wire, digital gauges with one wire hook up, multiple programmable inputs and outputs, dual knock sensors, reverse rotation. No problem. Check out the Holley EFI website and download the software for free to play around with. I've got about 20 different base maps from small blocks, whippled 502's, NA 557's, 502MAG's, procharged LS, etc. for anyone that needs help getting started.

This my personal opinion... If you've got an old MEFI, throw it in the garbage, and if you've got a modern Merc ECM send it to Mark Boos at Precision Marine.
Have you used the Fast XFI ?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed

I take it works w/high impedance injectors?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 PM
GPM
Registered

I've said this before, with the aftermarket ecu most software is free, so if you don't know what you are doing you can link up from anywhere to anywhere and tune real time.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The new self tuning PCM sound pretty cool. I have the old style comander 950 setup with wideband. I leave my O2 sensor in all the time and let it self adjust. Any reason you would need to remove it? I used to run the narrow band and went through a couple of sensors. The wideband seems to be holding up better. I used it 3 seasons about 150 hrs and still working.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM
GPM
Registered

The self tune fine tunes the fuel map so the wideband doesn't have to do as much work. You can shut it off once you have it right. Been running the Fast XFI self tune in a turbo Buick since it came out, works well.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

It will do high and low impedance. I really like the FAST stuff and the racepack interface. The only reason I went with the Holley was the potted ecm. Some of my customers that run aluminum jet boats go to pretty extreme places and it's not uncommon to fill the boat half full of water running big whitewater. So far there's been zero issues running well below freezing and soaking wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.