Prop Stuck on Shaft....help.... >

Prop Stuck on Shaft....help....

Notices

Prop Stuck on Shaft....help....

Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prop Stuck on Shaft....help....

I have a stainless prop stuck on the shaft of an alpha drive. I am pretty sure it is all salt build up. (This was not my own boat). Anyway, I have tried soaking in fresh water, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, penetrating oil, and just about anything else I could find or think of.

I don't want to heat it and ruin the hub. Is there actually a "prop puller" that will pull something like a mercury mirage? If so, where can you get one?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen on a couple of volvos, take a 3 jaw puller, penetrating oil,mount the puller so you can put pressure on the prop & shaft let it set for a while with pressure on it then smack the puller on the end with a good hammer & it usually will pop right off. The more pressure you can put against the prop the better, if salt water might have to repeat depending on how corroded it is. Clean all splines & use plenty of marine grease when going together. Randy
Old 11-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said. If you feel like spending money, I do think merc has a prop puller.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

a few smacks with a rubber mallet on the backside of the blades close to the hub should loosen it up...