Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil change question >

oil change question

Notices

oil change question

Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much money do you have in the boat? How much did you spend in gas to run it? Oil is a small .001 percent of that, change it as much as you can. End of story..
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the best question is how long do you plan to own it? a few years don't bother, forever change it.

I can guarantee if you have the oil analyzed now you will find it has plenty of life left in it, and in six months of sitting it will be essentially the same

Last edited by pstorti; 01-12-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see I was to get a topic with so much response. We hit 80 degrees here today in Austin 1-20-12. Hope to get the boat out soon and will probably just run it the first time with what I have and then come back and change it to some new stuff while it is warmed up. 3 month lay up on a oil that has seen 20 hours is not that long.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_342
Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
names Fletch. Fletch F. Fletch.

Fax those to Rita (Who's Rita?)
She's my secretary. (Who are you?)
Rita's boss. -walk out.....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I change my oil at 10-15 hrs with my supercharged set up. Always at the end of the season with fresh oil and run to winterize. My boat stays in a garage that is not temperature controlled. Condensation is a real problem in the winter when my dehumidifier is ineffective. I popped one of the valve covers off last year and saw water droplets on the rockers and inside heads. There is no doubt in my case the oil is contaminated over the winter.
I am not for doing unecessary things, but I think storage conditions should be factored into the decision. If your boat is lucky enough to be in a controlled climate I think your not going to have as much reason to change in the spring.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I change my oil at 10-15 hrs with my supercharged set up. Always at the end of the season with fresh oil and run to winterize. My boat stays in a garage that is not temperature controlled. Condensation is a real problem in the winter when my dehumidifier is ineffective. I popped one of the valve covers off last year and saw water droplets on the rockers and inside heads. There is no doubt in my case the oil is contaminated over the winter.
I am not for doing unecessary things, but I think storage conditions should be factored into the decision. If your boat is lucky enough to be in a controlled climate I think your not going to have as much reason to change in the spring.
My guys use 20W-50 M-1 V-twin in my blower engines with Wix Filters.

Oil changed every 20 hrs and at the end of the season 30wt dino is installed and in the spring after initial startup and warmup up for 20 minutes it gets changed back to V-twin.