Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Legal Question?? >

Legal Question??

Notices

Legal Question??

Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who commented here. Fact of the matter is that Co. #1 capped me at 4.59. Co. #2 capped me at 3.99. It just pisses me off that there could be such a difference. I told Co. #1 about Co.#2 price and they made no offer to at least meet in the middle seeing that I've been a loyal customer for a few years. And no I did not verbally agree with Co.#2 to anything. In fact, Co.#2 informed me that I would most likely not be able to get out of the verbal w/Co.#1. So..... I guess I'll man up so I don't have to listen to those who commented about honor. F- all these Oil Co. They're the ones ruining the economy. I'm switching to Gas.

Verbal agreement was recorded
Co#1 = Petro
Co#2 = General

Last edited by raytart; 01-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YA you wouldn't want to hurt an oil company!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anewway
Let's reverse the roles here. Let's say you made a verbal agreement that you were very happy with, and a couple of days later the oil company calls you and says they changed their mind, the price is now double or they can't make your delivery schedule or something, but basically they want out of the contract.

Would you be pissed and raising hell with them saying you had a contact?

Legal or not, you made a deal with these guys, stand by it and switch next year.
+1 to this, if the roles where reversed he'd be on here crying that he made a verbal agreement with the oil co and now they want to back out of it. now it IS in writing and yea, what about that credit card charge? I bet he'd lose in court.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

There was no contract and no honor to be lost if they are over charging you. F*ck 'em.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered

3 pages about whether somebody should actually keep their end of a deal ? 10 posts that come up with some ridiculous justification for weasling your way out of a commitment you made ? geeze ... you give weasels a bad name...

you make a deal you stick to it or buy your self out of it. if you don't you are dishonest. no middle ground. no justification.

you are as bad as any slime ball that sells something on here takes the money and never ships it. your word is worth nothing.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Has oil already been delivered and not paid for? If not, I don't see how you are bound legally or morally. Your phone conversation only expressed intent. You changed your mind. Happens all the time. Some of the comparisons and condemnations on this thread are ridiculous. If oil has been delivered then you should pay. JMO
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Has oil already been delivered and not paid for? If not, I don't see how you are bound legally or morally. Your phone conversation only expressed intent. You changed your mind. Happens all the time. Some of the comparisons and condemnations on this thread are ridiculous. If oil has been delivered then you should pay. JMO
" i don't see how you are bound legall y or morally..."

that says it all... you don't see how making a commitment to do something obligates you ?

well... let THAT be a warning to anyone that you do business with
Old 01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

i would consult a lawyer, verbal contracts are different depending on where your standing and their standing. some states they are not legal, just precursor to writen contract. did you agree to volume or time period also, this may give you some workability to your oil usage. call lawyer that does "contract law"
Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Just google "Verbal Contracts". Most sites say they are legal, with certain conditions. Interesting read on these sites. According to the original post, verbal agreement with a price quoted, then a written contract sent for signature. Sounds like a true "Verbal Contract" and enforceable.

Last edited by 97FASTech; 01-22-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

did they inform you at the time of the verbal agreement that there would be a penalty of 399 dollars to release you from your verbal agreement? and since you have been with this company for several years were you aware of this policy prior to the verbal agreement?

if so then you are definatley obligated.

if not it would seem that they would have a hard time collecting this fee. a party to a contract cant just interject fees and service charges whenever they see fit and at whatever amount suits them.

you know what you can afford and what you cant. dont listen to anyone on here telling you what "honor" is. your not screwing anyone by changing your mind. make your own decision. but definately consult a lawyer in your state prior to making any decisions. laws vary greatly from state to state.

some of you guys need to get a grip and gain some perspective....................... and maybe a little respect along the way. the issue is not if the agreement was made but if they have the right to collect a fee in the event of the cancelation of a verbal agreement.

Last edited by 2tonchevy; 01-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.