Gas tank's questions. >

Gas tank's questions.

Notices

Gas tank's questions.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Gas tank's questions.

I am rebuilding an old flat bottom drag boat. Not really a big boat so there is no room for fuel tanks. The only place they can go is where they are now. So I have to use 2, 12 gallon tanks on each side of the V drive. Never done this configuration before I got questions.
The old thanks had bottom feeds. The new tanks have top feeds. The plan is to run both feeds to a T and then to the fuel filter and onto the electric fuel pump. The filter and the pump will be mounted lower than the tanks. Will the fuel pump draw fuel out of the two tanks equally?
Also both tanks came with senders in them already. I know this is a long shot but is there a way to make both thanks work off a single gauge?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not a gauge, but if you ran a clear vertical sight glass that was connected to the bottoms of both tanks they would automatically level and show you the total amount. Im sure the same thing could be made to work with an electronic sender of some sort. But they would have to be tied together from the bottoms, otherwise it would not self level.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Also both tanks came with senders in them already. I know this is a long shot but is there a way to make both thanks work off a single gauge?
On an old jet boat we had with dual side tanks and one gauge. It used a switch to change the which sending wire was going to the gauge. the switch was a 3 position, On (left side) -Off- On (right side) if I remember rightly........
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuel will not likely draw even with the set up you are talking about.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

as J-Bonz said you run the sender wires up to a switch. you can use a two position switch that is on-on. you run the senders to each end of the switch and the center connection to the gauge. for the tanks you need to make everything up to the tee the exact same i.e. the lines need to be the same length with the same fittings on each side. it will probably not pull exactly the same but that will get it close. on my flat bottom I am putting fuel shut offs at each tank so if I need to I can pull from one or the other or both. you can also buy a fuel valve that switches tanks. I think IMCO makes them.