Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Diacom/Rinda Service >

Diacom/Rinda Service

Like Tree0Likes

Diacom/Rinda Service

Reply

Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,665
Thumbs down Diacom/Rinda Service

Anybody using a 2008 (2.27 or 2.29 roughly) version of Diacom w rev 14 on the cable?

Tech support says they have an issue with “certain” laptops having noise in the USB ports.

No one mentioned this back in 08 when we bought it. The system looses connection with running engines and their only fix is to charge me another 150+ for new cable.

What a nice racket! 700+ for the system and just now finding this out. Total rip-off..

The cable is their piracy protection so if you send in your new-condition cable they maybe should consider making the trade for something less than a whole new deal after you’ve already paid for one system..

Customer service sux everywhere more and more. Better ask them for known issues BEFORE you buy their product and be sure that any problems will be linked to you, the user which means you will pay again and again.

Last edited by SDFever; 01-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.
SDFever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 AM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 268
Lightbulb

Interesting, I know my Mercruiser handheld version scan tool from rinda also intermittently loses connection while the engine is running.

I bought it back in the mid 90's and it's always done it, Even with all of the software version updates over the years it still does it, especially at higher RPM i would notice it more, But I never gave it much thought as to call rinda out on it, I just got used to it cutting out here and there.

I figured it was an electrical noise interference coming mainly from the spark plug wires, because it happened a lot when anytime the cord was within the general area of the plug wires, also it seemed like it would happen sometimes when there were some power wires next to the cord harness as well.

For what it's worth, it seems like when i do my best to keep the cord away from any of the power sources, it does seem to have helped with cutting down on the number of times of losing the connection though.

I suppose you could try to find some kind of spirally wrapped shielding that would cover the outside wire harness cable so that maybe it could help with reducing the noise interference?

Maybe the guys at rinda should read the link below, Understanding Shielded Cables.
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf
lakematdude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,665
Default

Originally Posted by lakematdude View Post
Interesting, I know my Mercruiser handheld version scan tool from rinda also intermittently loses connection while the engine is running.

I bought it back in the mid 90's and it's always done it, Even with all of the software version updates over the years it still does it, especially at higher RPM i would notice it more, But I never gave it much thought as to call rinda out on it, I just got used to it cutting out here and there.

I figured it was an electrical noise interference coming mainly from the spark plug wires, because it happened a lot when anytime the cord was within the general area of the plug wires, also it seemed like it would happen sometimes when there were some power wires next to the cord harness as well.

For what it's worth, it seems like when i do my best to keep the cord away from any of the power sources, it does seem to have helped with cutting down on the number of times of losing the connection though.

I suppose you could try to find some kind of spirally wrapped shielding that would cover the outside wire harness cable so that maybe it could help with reducing the noise interference?

Maybe the guys at rinda should read the link below, Understanding Shielded Cables.
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf
I understand the noise problems.

What grinds the gears is that they found out about it and made the newer cables better but the guy who bought the slightly older cable is screwed.

Like any other sales deal.. Once you buy it you're on your own.

Then they tell you that you should try a different laptop. How many dam computers are you supposed to buy in order to use this pos?

Poorly designed product with sub-par service.
SDFever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis
My Boat: '70 Magnum 27 Sport, '88 Donzi Minx
Posts: 715
Default

You should try a few wraps around a ferrite core.
Pretty cheap to try.

Jeff
hallj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minneapolis,MN
My Boat: 1984 Formula 242
Posts: 164
Default

And it usually works......... I do this on all of my Programming cables. EFI Live, HP Tuner.. etc.

Originally Posted by hallj View Post
You should try a few wraps around a ferrite core.
Pretty cheap to try.

Jeff
RdRacerZ28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
  #6
Were doomed!
Charter Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
My Boat: Chris Craft Stinger 222
Posts: 5,631
Default

Originally Posted by RdRacerZ28 View Post
And it usually works......... I do this on all of my Programming cables. EFI Live, HP Tuner.. etc.
You can also do a snap choke on each end of the wire next to the plugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3012599
__________________
-Wally

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Wally is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 268
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hallj View Post
You should try a few wraps around a ferrite core.
Pretty cheap to try.

Jeff
Originally Posted by RdRacerZ28 View Post
And it usually works......... I do this on all of my Programming cables. EFI Live, HP Tuner.. etc.
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
You can also do a snap choke on each end of the wire next to the plugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3012599
Thank you guys, i wasn't aware of this product, I will definitely give this a try.
lakematdude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: burlington, iowa
Posts: 253
Default

we got the mercury CDS(computer diagnostic system) when we got it it came with the HP laptop. the smartcoms box(interface) would drop-out. it has to use 9pin 232 port. thought it was weird, since the only people that had same problem had HP's, laptop died got panasonic and have not had problem since. try the snap on chokes, hopefully they will help.
keith2500hd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,665
Default

Was not aware of the chokes.. never had to think about it.

Thanks for the replies!! You probably saved me at least $150 and I just don't think it's fair to pay them again for the same product.

Hard to believe they would not make the same suggestion.
SDFever is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser