Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Where to put all these speakers???? >

Where to put all these speakers????

Notices

Where to put all these speakers????

Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put all these speakers????

I just bought a "boat load" of JL Audio speakers...(4) M10IB subs, (6) M7.7, (6) tweats. 3 JL amps...1 for the component and 2 for the subs. Now I have to decide how to place all the stuff!!!

Boat is a 25zx. For those who don't know the layout of the 25zx...there are 2 speaker holes in the cockpit below/beside the front seats and 2 in the cabin all the way forward on the bow wall facing rear ward. (they are 6.5", so they will have to be enlarged)

Things to consider:
-I don't necessarily have to use all the equipment listed above...I bought it as a package deal and am not against selling some of it or keeping it as back up.
-I want it to sound good on the beach when the bow is beached, if I have to pop the hatch that is fine.
-Possibility of keeping the cabin stock, running the factory speakers off the deck alone. (I think I will lose a lot of sound on the beach, so probably not going to go this route)
-Pretty well set on installing 2 of the subs under the rear seat facing forward in the corners, this way I dont have to cut into the storage area in the center of the seat to allow room for the drivers/magnets.
-In the cabin I have room down low to either install 1 sub facing the rear of the boat, or 2 subs facing each other towards the center of the boat (under the two seats near the entrance of the cabin)

So....how would you set this thing up???
Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For listening outside the boat, keep your 7.7's as high as possible in the cockpit. Highs in the cabin will only be good for listening down there, if you don't sit in the cabin and listen to music put them in the cockpit. If you have sets of subs mounted facing each other you will have to run them 180 degrees of of phase so you dont have a standing wave that cancels each other. Any pics of your cockpit? In mine I have a pair of mid/highs by the bolsters, a pair up high between the bolsers and back seat, and a pair under the seat. I have 3 10IB's under the back seat.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

two boats, same layout

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

A set of tweets on the dash?, facing up and bouncing off the windshield?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

I have 4 tens under my back seat, pulled the cooler out made a custom ported box the ports fire behind the side panels and that allows bass to travel through the boat, also have two tens in the mid cuddy in ported boxes with the ports firing around the bow insert. I have 3 sets of 6 1/2 components in the bow insert. One set down low one set in the middle and one set up high, in the midcuddy i have 2 sets one 6 1/2 one set low one set high. The cockpit has 4 sets of speakers 3 6 1/2 one mounted low, one mounted high, one mounted in the rear right at about waist level (behind cup holders) and a set of 6x9 in the base of the driver/passenger seats. I have very very very good sound projection. I can easily hear and feel the bass 50-75 feet away. let me know if you have any questions i own a stereo shop in riverside california. Make sure to use baffles behind the speakers it will give you alot more mid bass.
http://metraonline.com/part/VXT65
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Registered

I would not use the HU to power any speakers other than crappy stock and even then most HU will sound better with the internal amp turned off.
You dont mention the current HU or what amps were purchased?
How many pre-outs and what voltage does the HU have?

I assume the JL 7.7 and tweets are component pairs or do you have 3 pair of 7.7 coax AND 6 more tweets?

Dont know where you will place the mids in the cockpit but I would not waste speakers in the bow, sound will be too muffled to be effective. Think about the small opening sound will have to vent either though the cuddy door or worse, the hatch.

For the beach, build an enclosure about 2 cu ft total for one pair of the 7.7. Why 1cu each? They will have a broader response. Wake cans are compact but not optimal for lower mids.
You will need an additional amp to power the thrid pair or put a switch on one pair of in-boats to divert that power to the beach box.

Place all 4 subs across the rear or just do two. Adding the subs in the cabin will be more of a battery drain than effective sound. As chew suggests, ported will be much more effective than IB. IB is easy and lazy but like most things easy, a compromise.

Dont forget BATTERIES! It does not do any good to have a kick'n system and only be able to play for 45min.........
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
I would not use the HU to power any speakers other than crappy stock and even then most HU will sound better with the internal amp turned off.
You dont mention the current HU or what amps were purchased?
How many pre-outs and what voltage does the HU have?

I assume the JL 7.7 and tweets are component pairs or do you have 3 pair of 7.7 coax AND 6 more tweets?

Dont know where you will place the mids in the cockpit but I would not waste speakers in the bow, sound will be too muffled to be effective. Think about the small opening sound will have to vent either though the cuddy door or worse, the hatch.

For the beach, build an enclosure about 2 cu ft total for one pair of the 7.7. Why 1cu each? They will have a broader response. Wake cans are compact but not optimal for lower mids.
You will need an additional amp to power the thrid pair or put a switch on one pair of in-boats to divert that power to the beach box.

Place all 4 subs across the rear or just do two. Adding the subs in the cabin will be more of a battery drain than effective sound. As chew suggests, ported will be much more effective than IB. IB is easy and lazy but like most things easy, a compromise.

Dont forget BATTERIES! It does not do any good to have a kick'n system and only be able to play for 45min.........
Amps: 1 m6600 and 2 m1700 JL Audio
HU: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...459740494.html
m
7.7: http://www.jlaudio.com/m770-ccs-cg-w...-systems-91786
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tnc110
Assume you meant m600/1 sub amps? They pair well with the 10" IB

The m600/6 would power all three pairs, but only 75w each which will leave them under max potential.
Dont push the gains too high trying to make it something it is not.
The mhd600/4 would have been a beter choice for full power.

Dont forget to budget for 1/0 primary and 4ga power wire; fuse and distribution blocks. The car install kits are insufficient for marine installs. There is not an equal length ground wire and fuse holders are usually crappy AGU.
http://www.knukonceptz.com/

With more than 2 amps, I recomend using a relay to increase voltage on the remote turn on leads.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

some very good info has been posted here.

You can use the 6 channel to push all the 7.7's but like others have said keep the gain set no more than 3/4 as when your playing in the sun and for some time the amps will get hot and you want to avoid clipping. I would really suggest building an enclosure for the woofers iv built 3 different box's for my boat until i found what sounded best for my needs. Free air space woofer or not it will sound better in an enclosure. Also use good wire, i can get you spools if you need and i can also get you distro blocks for the amps. Batteries are a big deal, i have 2 kinetic 2400 that just run my system (5 amps) and my system will play at half volume for 8 hours , 3-4 hours at full volume before the batteries get low enough that they start to clip. Be advised when using gel sealed batteries be sure to buy a good charger for them ( i had an issue with low run times after about 3 months of use did not matter how i charged the batteries until i bought the kinetic charger). I would not recommend a relay for the primary amp turn on wire for 3 amps, it is not needed really unless you run more than 3 or 4.

http://www.kinetikpower.com/2009/pro...?C=1&P=KHC2400
battery
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered

no typo, m6600 for the 7.7s and a m1700 for each pair of subs.
How would you recommend setting up the m6600?...the HU has 6 channel rca outputs, but I cant remember if that includes the sub output or not...

Also...is putting one of the tweeter sets on the dash a good idea, or do they need to be installed near the 7.7s to sound right?

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
Assume you meant m600/1 sub amps? They pair well with the 10" IB

The m600/6 would power all three pairs, but only 75w each which will leave them under max potential.
Dont push the gains too high trying to make it something it is not.
The mhd600/4 would have been a beter choice for full power.

Dont forget to budget for 1/0 primary and 4ga power wire; fuse and distribution blocks. The car install kits are insufficient for marine installs. There is not an equal length ground wire and fuse holders are usually crappy AGU.
http://www.knukonceptz.com/

With more than 2 amps, I recomend using a relay to increase voltage on the remote turn on leads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.