Like Tree0Likes

Keel Gaurd?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

My Boat: 06 Nordic Rage
Default Keel Gaurd?

I have a 97 Scarab 22 that I have done some work to get the hull looking nice. I bought the boat used in August 2011 and there was a bad wear spot in the keel about the middle from beaching ( I assume because the gel was neraly gone and it was all smooth) and I added some gel repair. It is covered now looks nice but I fear it is thin and will quickly be gone if I beach the boat.

I know,I know about beaching and I did not last season due to this but with my littles ones it will make the day last longer.

I am looking to make an informed descision regarding some sort of keel gaurd. Anyone have one on a performance boat? What about it affecting the performance? I wonder also on what people think for resale,assuming they arent taking them off before selling?

Any info would be great thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 1992 Progression 22

Most of the keel guards I've seen attach with double sided tape. That would mean removing one should be a matter of heating it up with a heat gun, then peeling it off. Any residual tape / adhesive should come off with solvent.

As for affecting performance, I kind of doubt it. These things are generally placed pretty far forward and thus would not be in contact with the water at speed.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Registered

My Boat: 38 Scarab Avs 700's, Baja 250ES 650hp, Baja 250ES 500hp

I agree, propably won't change performance, they are just ugly.

I put one on my Dad's boat but that was because he has a habit of not securing lines properly in a slip and always bangs the keel up on the dock in the front.

It works, they are easy to install, I am just not a fan of how they look.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

Don't waste your money, they do not stay on. At least that is what I have seen. Good idea but,,the adhesive doesn't hold for very long.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered

One thing they have started doing around here is rhino lining. The guys spray a coat on the keel. It blends perfectly. It was pointed out to me I wouldn't have noticed. They also match the color of the gel pretty close.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

My Boat: 06 Nordic Rage

Rhino Lining, huh

I had a wear spot from the previous owner beaching. It was about 4 inches of the keel that all the gel was gone. It was rubbed smooth and shiny like freshly buffed paint.

I put a few layers of new gel over it and I just think that it is not going to last very long as thin as it is.