Looking for Side Mount Whipple Information >

Looking for Side Mount Whipple Information

Notices

Looking for Side Mount Whipple Information

Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for Side Mount Whipple Information

After trying to reach Dustin at Whipple several times by phone, I sent the below request for information on the old side mount systems to their Tech email and have received no response. Hopefully someone here has some answers.

Thanks.

Hi, I have been gathering parts to install the older 2.3L side mount Whipples on 1997 Merc 502 MPIs and have several questions I hope you can answer.

What size supercharger pulleys are available and what is the expected boost for each size? What is the standard or recommended SC pulley size?

Do you recommend lubricating the SC by circulating engine oil through it or run it self contained (I have installation manuals that show both ways and the SC kit I purchased for a HP500 EFI looks to be set up for engine oil circulation)?

What size are the two injectors installed between the throttle body and inter cooler? Is there a known problem with fuel distribution when running the two upstream injectors ( I have heard that the number 8 cylinder runs lean)? I would like to use the upstream injectors if there are no known issues with these and plan control them with MEFI 3s or the new Holley HP EFI systems, any suggestions?

The HP 500 EFI SC kit I purchased came with a low profile throttle body with HUGE passages. Does this unit flow well or does it just look impressive? Do you know where I could find a second one of these throttle bodies?

Do you know of any intake manifold modifications which would work well with the side mount system on 502 MPIs (Porting, changing runner length, removing dividers)?

Do you know where I could purchase a V Belt Crankshaft drive pulley for the side mount SC?

Thanks for your help. I have tried to call several times but marine tech support has always been busy.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector
After trying to reach Dustin at Whipple several times by phone, I sent the below request for information on the old side mount systems to their Tech email and have received no response. Hopefully someone here has some answers.

Thanks.

Hi, I have been gathering parts to install the older 2.3L side mount Whipples on 1997 Merc 502 MPIs and have several questions I hope you can answer.

What size supercharger pulleys are available and what is the expected boost for each size? What is the standard or recommended SC pulley size?

Do you recommend lubricating the SC by circulating engine oil through it or run it self contained (I have installation manuals that show both ways and the SC kit I purchased for a HP500 EFI looks to be set up for engine oil circulation)?

What size are the two injectors installed between the throttle body and inter cooler? Is there a known problem with fuel distribution when running the two upstream injectors ( I have heard that the number 8 cylinder runs lean)? I would like to use the upstream injectors if there are no known issues with these and plan control them with MEFI 3s or the new Holley HP EFI systems, any suggestions?

The HP 500 EFI SC kit I purchased came with a low profile throttle body with HUGE passages. Does this unit flow well or does it just look impressive? Do you know where I could find a second one of these throttle bodies?

Do you know of any intake manifold modifications which would work well with the side mount system on 502 MPIs (Porting, changing runner length, removing dividers)?

Do you know where I could purchase a V Belt Crankshaft drive pulley for the side mount SC?

Thanks for your help. I have tried to call several times but marine tech support has always been busy.
young performance and sutphen30 can answer some of those questions
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Give me a shout. I have done tons of them and should be able to answer all of your questions. I actually have 3 of them here now.
Eddie
615-216-7449 or
[email protected]
Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector

Thanks.

2" to 5", same as our current 10-rib pulleys. 3 3/8" is recommended for stock 502.

No I do not, not for a stock 502.

72lb's on MEFI1 systems and 96lb's on MEFI3 systems. Switch them to our 80lb inj high impedence.

Yes, flows 2000cfm. Only if you can find from another customer, we don't make them anymore.

Porting helps, extrude hone helps, shortening runners helps HP, never tried dividers. Makes awesome torque.

We have our traditional 3v crank pulleys and then 12-rib 8.5 or 9.0" serpentines. Never checked fitment on the 9", but it may not clear water pump pulley, 8.5 is no problem. Originally came with 8.5".

See in the questions for the answers.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 3.11" 10 rib upper pulley I'd sell pretty cheap.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 AM
Registered

I have a 99 OL 502 w/whipple side mount, still has the piggy back computer and secondary fuel pump. Everything is stock other than 8:1 pistons and MLS head gaskets. I blew a head gasket last summer, pulled engine and rebuilt her this winter. As of now the injectors aren't pulsing, wont start. Engine check light is on, whipple check light is showing code 15 (I think). I have went over grounds and all connections, everything is good to go. I am thinking of buying a Mercrusier scanner or PC software to read/delete the codes, and run an injector test. I need the tool anyways.

Will the scanner allow me to read/delete the code on the piggy back computer?
Is this the next step, or am I just missing a simple ground or a bad connection?

Or should I ditch the piggyback computer and 2 injectors pre-SC, and get my MEFI 3 re-tuned and go with bigger injectors?

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has a pdf of the instruction booklet, that would be awesome! I bought the boat 5yrs ago, 1 owner w/160hrs on it, SC was installed @25hrs. It now has 250hrs on it, I replaced the SC 2 summers ago. The boat always ran great, GPS 74mph. I know my way around an engine, but this is the first SC and MPI I have ever rebuilt. I'm not trying to push things to the limit, just want what I had, 74 is good for me.

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 99BajaOutlaw
Or should I ditch the piggyback computer and 2 injectors pre-SC, and get my MEFI 3 re-tuned and go with bigger injectors?
Thanks,
I would definitely ditch the piggy back and mefi1.I go for a mefi4b first and if only a last resort get a mefi3.as for injectors,try to find the thin 50lb ones as the bigger body ones needs grinding o the intake in a couple of places.
Depending on fuel rail you have,you should modify the hole in the #8 inj,its very small.
I went w/ a totally new fuel pump and regulator,came in the front of the rail and out the back to the regulator,then back to the tank.
I tune my own stuff and have mefi4b's.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I would definitely ditch the piggy back and mefi1.I go for a mefi4b first and if only a last resort get a mefi3.as for injectors,try to find the thin 50lb ones as the bigger body ones needs grinding o the intake in a couple of places.
Depending on fuel rail you have,you should modify the hole in the #8 inj,its very small.
I went w/ a totally new fuel pump and regulator,came in the front of the rail and out the back to the regulator,then back to the tank.
I tune my own stuff and have mefi4b's.
I believe it's cyl #7, but either way it's readily apparent.

Sorry for the poor quality, but I think it conveys the message.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

I'd say by your pic your absolutely right.I haven't seen my fuel rails since 2006,,so I may have forgotten a few things.