waterpump or watercross over >

waterpump or watercross over

Notices

waterpump or watercross over

Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default waterpump or watercross over

seen both ran whats the difference in having either or..
what all is needed or not needed with a crossover?
never really looked into it .. just wondering???
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I had one on my last engine, it was a pain in the a$$ to make it work right. You gain 5 hp but you will never see a speed gain from 5 hp. Other pro's are they're lighter and give you a little more room in front of the engine. IMO they're not worth the hassle. I'm not using them on my new engines.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the water circulator then just leave it there it wont gain you any mph removing it. Most people do it to just clean up the front of there engine some. It works great and its not a water pump. It just circulates the water throught block better than a crossover. Waste of time and money to change if your doing it for the horse power reason just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what if you dont have either one when building new engines which would you go with
whats the price comparison used and new on the 2
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the circulating pump actuially slows down the waterflow,just fine for non supercharged engine,most supercharged engines use a crossover to move more water through the engine for better cooling.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if water moves to fast threw the block,it wont absorb the heat {not enough heat transfer} and the engine can be damaged,over heated, even knowing its not showing on the guage. crossovers are for blower belt clearance. thats it,run the circ pump. thats how merc designs them.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

blower belt clearance is not an issue on marine engines because of the 3 groove pulley on the crank,because of this,the blower drive snout is longer,and the belt is farther foreward,and can you explain how slowing the flow of water down before it enters the engine,has anything to do with heat transfer inside the engine,and one more thing,mercury did not design the circulating pump,they have been around longer than mercury has been.why post information that is not factuial,all you do is confuse people,like yourself,that dont know the facts.dont take it pearsonal,its just the way it is!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
blower belt clearance is not an issue on marine engines because of the 3 groove pulley on the crank,because of this,the blower drive snout is longer,and the belt is farther foreward,and can you explain how slowing the flow of water down before it enters the engine,has anything to do with heat transfer inside the engine,and one more thing,mercury did not design the circulating pump,they have been around longer than mercury has been.why post information that is not factuial,all you do is confuse people,like yourself,that dont know the facts.dont take it pearsonal,its just the way it is!
+100.
Where do they here this stuff. Your sea pump is more than enough to meet your requirements.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

Default crossover vs. circ. pump

I have run both. All the above comments are absolutely correct. If you have neither a circulating pump or crossover at the moment then its a matter of weighing the pros and cons of both.

CIRCULATING PUMP: CONS
It looks and does "clutter" the front of the motor & robs Hp from the motor (but the loss is minimal and in most cases you would not see but maybe a 1 mph gain on gps by just installing a crossover and nothing else).
CIRCULATING PUMP: PROS
Stabilizes water temp and many times overlooked....water pressure.

CROSSOVER: CONS
Crossovers are a hit and miss deal. Sometimes they work trouble free and sometimes do nothing but cause problems! The bad would be that they can move water to quickly through a cooling system causing the motor to over heat or not keep a constant temp. Its not uncommon to see the temp on your gauge fluxuate simpley from going from idle to planing your boat out. The other concern with running a crossover is by
removing the circ. pump there is a possibility of increasing the water pressure in the block which can open up a whole new can of worms.
Water pressure that's to high can lead to blown gaskets. A lot of people that run crossovers also install pressure relief valves for that very reason.
CROSSOVER: PROS
For the most part, I listed them above....they free up a little bit of power and they make the front of your motor look a lot better imo. Other then that...they don't do much more.

Hope this helps you out!

Last edited by mustangmark; 02-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangmark

CROSSOVER: CONS
Crossovers are a hit and miss deal. Sometimes they work trouble free and sometimes do nothing but cause problems! The bad would be that they can move water to quickly through a cooling system causing the motor to over heat or not keep a constant temp. Its not uncommon to see the temp on your gauge fluxuate simpley from going from idle to planing your boat out. The other concern with running a crossover is by
removing the circ. pump there is a possibility of increasing the water pressure in the block which can open up a whole new can of worms.
Water pressure that's to high can lead to blown gaskets. A lot of people that run crossovers also install pressure relief valves for that very reason.
CROSSOVER: PROS
For the most part, I listed them above....they free up a little bit of power and they make the front of your motor look a lot better imo. Other then that...they don't do much more.
Hit and miss is exactly how it seems to be. I researched it as I wanted to switch to a crossover just to open up the front of the engine and run a different belt set-up. But after searching this site many people had issues with high water pressure and inconsistent temps, while others had no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.