new fuel cell dosen't sit all the way >

new fuel cell dosen't sit all the way

Notices

new fuel cell dosen't sit all the way

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new fuel cell dosen't sit all the way

I'm installing a new v shaped tank in my boat. It sits in the middle of the boat but the angle of the tank is a bigger than the hull. It sits good on the edges but there is a about a 2" gap in the middle to the hull. Its a 56 gallon and is about 70" long is this normal or should I be concerned that all the weight is on the edges?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

build a frame for it. start with a two by four or 2 one by fours or a 5/4 by four until you get thickness right straight down the keel to support the center. also need 1/4 inch or so black neoprene-i think- foam pad under tank. looks like wet suit material. only it is closed cell foam. doesn't soak up water. 56 gallons 6 feet long. i am guessing only about 3 feet wide. 2 more longitudinal "stringers" between center and edges you could probably get away with. ideally you want a marine plywood box set up off the keel so bilge water can't get to tank and tank is 100 percent supported by foam-padded wood. but 56 gallons is about 280 to 300 lbs of fuel. only about 60 lbs on each support point with less than a foot unsupported between each. i don't think that is enough area for flexing to cause metal fatigue. use cedar. stands up to water better than anything but teak or mahogany. tab the boards down to hull. i don't think glassing them in fully is necessary. make sure water drains past everything. if floor above tank is not a hatch which can be removed, make it so now.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Or you could just foam it in. Just use the right foam.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
Or you could just foam it in. Just use the right foam.
and run a piece of 1-1.5" PVC pipe under the center of the tank for water to drain through.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no foam. traps water and rots out the tank. just because OEM people do it that way doesn't make it a good idea. they do it because it is cheap and quick.