Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
stainless marine exhaust >

stainless marine exhaust

Notices

stainless marine exhaust

Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

i have a set on my a pair blown sbc and the work great and are light and easy to work with
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Not going to argue about quality in salt. But as far as performance a true header, which cmi is, is the far superior. Now is all the extra work flushing and checking worth it. That's up to the customer. I lost a motor to a bad set of cmi's.
Not sure how true that is (IN MY OPINION), especially on a marine water cooled exhaust where exhaust scaveneging works a little different than on a automotive header that can heat up to 1000+ degrees,Lets think about blower motors as most higher hp boat engines are supercharged, the biggest thing on a blower motor is how much restriction the exhaust creates, with virtually no restriction and the fact neither one can build enough heat to help with scavenging and the header typically doesn't have long enough runners to do much more than the high flowing stainless marine manifolds it comes down to is the exhaust a restriction? Stainless marine 3's have as much cross sectional area or more in the primary runners as some of the biggest cmi headers, and they both dump thru a similar collector and tailpipe and I have read there is virtually no hp difference between them and most headers, Smitty
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running the Gen 3's for about 4-5 years without issue. They have a distinct sound, which I like.

Talking with the Stainless Marine guys at the show they reassured me that I will not have any issue running them on my new 598 blower motors since they have been tested to 1400 HP.

Jason
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered

Default exhaust

thank's for all reply's I bought 2 sets used here, and had them pressure checked all good I have efi motors ,is there a bracket to mount electric box to? I have seen also some have oil filter mounted to front of exhaust and some don't, So do i need to have brackets made
Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riverboater
thank's for all reply's I bought 2 sets used here, and had them pressure checked all good I have efi motors ,is there a bracket to mount electric box to? I have seen also some have oil filter mounted to front of exhaust and some don't, So do i need to have brackets made
The ECU/Shift Plate brackets are tacked to the risers when they are made. The oil filter mount is a separate piece.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

First used SM in 1995, on single SBC 406 CI. No Issues in ten years. Now on 540's since 2006 in salt. One manifold was pressure tested on dyno, shown to leak, since they are designed such that IF they leak, they leak into the bilge. I installed the manifold anyway in 2010 and have not seen a drop of water in the bilge yet from this "supposed leak". I called SM at the time and told them I had a leak and asked them to help out on cost of replacement set (just in case). They gave me a most EXCELLENT deal as mine were 6 years old. I do not know what the shop was smoking when they said it leaked, now 2 years later and still no drips into the bilge. I do flush with salt away each and every time of use. I would never ever use anyone else. Plus getting to talk to Brownie about the old days was an added bonus, BTW he really likes stern drives ;-), just ask him.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

If your risers don't have brackets, I'd recommend calling Jerry at Stainless Marine. He sometimes has used risers with brackets that he'll swap with you for a very reasonable price. I've found their customer service to be second-to-none. I too bought two used sets of their manifolds locally in Miami. Jerry pressure tested them, made repairs to them as needed, swapped non-bracket risers for bracketed risers, sold me all new gaskets and bolts etc. plus shipped the whole shebang back to my house in Chicago for a really reasonable price. They're fantastic people. Can't say enough about them really.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 to jerry, great guy, great products.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Good to hear,thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I had Stainless Marine on my Scarab. They were installed in 1995 and left with the boat when I sold it in 2004. They were perfect through out the whole tenure I owned the boat.

On the Apache I started off with CMI elbo tops that were 5 yrs old when I bought the boat. When I bought the boat I tested the headers and found several leaks. I pressure checked them and had them fixed every season after that. I got sick and tired of the worry of blowing an engine that it got the best of me until I finally replaced them.

I replaced them with Stainless Marine with custom 4" dry pipes and don't worry any more..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.