Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any plumbers with nat. gas regulator sizing experience on board? >

Any plumbers with nat. gas regulator sizing experience on board?

Notices

Any plumbers with nat. gas regulator sizing experience on board?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ US1-I was just giving my experiance with maxitrols, I have had zero failures with the American Meter Company. Even with protector on the maxitrol, still have issues. On existing regulator jobs we have taken a short length of warm air duct pipe and snapped it around and over the maxi to give it a rain/snow/ice shield.

@ Jupiter Sunsation Its to eliminate vibration related fatigue to a rigid gas line where it treads into the generator input side of regulator/gas valve. The flex hose inside the cabinet is to prevent the same fatigue from regulator/valve to engine. typically the regulator/valve is rigid mounted to the frame rail. They must be used.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Wish I would have saw this before you started.
I just took all this "gas" stuff off a 454 back up generator that was used for a radio station. Could have made a deal for ya.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by looseconnection
@ US1-I was just giving my experiance with maxitrols, I have had zero failures with the American Meter Company. Even with protector on the maxitrol, still have issues. On existing regulator jobs we have taken a short length of warm air duct pipe and snapped it around and over the maxi to give it a rain/snow/ice shield.

Ok, I just mentioned the vent protector not knowing if you knew of them. Anyways, the regulator I have on order is an all sales final thing, so going to give it a go. Hasn't shipped yet, so I could change the model. They don't carry the AM brand to swap brands. If it becomes a problem and I need to replace it, I can revert back to this thread.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck. Did you get the nexus xfr switch? It has some really neat load shedding features.

Just make sure you check fuel inlet pressure while under moderate load and other gas consuming appliances in house are running. you may need to re-orifice your house meter, just depending on how your local utility set it up from the get go.

We fired up a 145kw in the shop a few weeks back and I swear it would suck the pipe flat at idle. Ford v-10 based engine. Good sounding engine on NG.