Trans Temp warning >

Trans Temp warning

Notices

Trans Temp warning

Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Trans Temp warning

I plan to install a trans temp gauge, and adding a temp warning switch, along with my other warning switches.

In my merc manual it states normal operating range between 140-190* fluid temps. I think I found a temp switch that activates at like 200 or 210*. I plan to add these same switches for water temp also. Is that ok or would pressure switches be better for the trans?

I want to set it up, so that if my trans gets hot, water temp gets hot, or fuel psi falls off, the alarm will sound and a LED indicator on my dash will light up. When in big water running hard, I like keeping my eyes on the water, and not staring at the dash.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I plan to install a trans temp gauge, and adding a temp warning switch, along with my other warning switches.

In my merc manual it states normal operating range between 140-190* fluid temps. I think I found a temp switch that activates at like 200 or 210*. I plan to add these same switches for water temp also. Is that ok or would pressure switches be better for the trans?

I want to set it up, so that if my trans gets hot, water temp gets hot, or fuel psi falls off, the alarm will sound and a LED indicator on my dash will light up. When in big water running hard, I like keeping my eyes on the water, and not staring at the dash.
The BW tranny's have a high temp switch which I have hooked up to the alarm but I have decide to install temp gauges. I don't like not knowing and having to wait for the alarm to go off before I know and by then it's too late. The BW manual says if the oil temp goes above 190 that the fluid has to be changed which for me requires me to pull the motors. I would rather know the temp is climbing based on a gauge!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

I thought I remember Marc from Bam suggesting PSI gauges for the trans being better than temp gauges. Im gonna have to dig into this.

A few years back I lost a trans, because a freeze plug that mounts into the tailstock had fallen out. Fluid ran out, and clutches smoked. I dont wanna have that happen again, maybe if i had gauges or a alarm I would have caught it.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

I wonder what Berman would say?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Joe,whyle the motors and trannys are out you may want to check and see if your trannys have the low oil pick up's in them..
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

He would say .........

In most cases by the time the trans is hot the damage is already done. Watching the pressure can help head off a problem. The gauge will start bouncing with low fluid level giving you some warning before the trans is toast. It would be hard to put an alarm on the pressure, at idle when hot it can be as low as 80 psi, then 180 psi at speed.

The clutches don't make any heat until they slip, and once they slip it is too late to do anything.

If you do want a temp gauge, read the instructions on our web site

cyborgtransmissions.com

BTW - I am a big fan of warning buzzers, I like using backup alarms - something you can really hear.

Last edited by Mbam; 02-19-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I thought I remember Marc from Bam suggesting PSI gauges for the trans being better than temp gauges. Im gonna have to dig into this.

A few years back I lost a trans, because a freeze plug that mounts into the tailstock had fallen out. Fluid ran out, and clutches smoked. I dont wanna have that happen again, maybe if i had gauges or a alarm I would have caught it.
If you can dig this up I wold love to know his thoughts. Pressure would definetly help in the case of fluid loss (no fluid = no pressure) but clutch slippage for other reasons would drive temperature up, not sure that would affect pressure?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

I can see what Marc is saying. If the trans starts showing its overheating, whether by gauge or warning buzzer, it may be too late by then, as the clutches or steels might be toast??

Only problem with the psi gauge i can see, is if the gauge was dropping psi, and you werent watching the gauge at that point, then I suppose damage can happen fast too.

i wonder if anyone makes a psi switch that can work like a oil psi switch, that when the psi falls below a set point, the alarm and warning light would come on. A blinking red led is usually easier to get your attention than a small 2" gauge set among 15+ other 2" gauges when running hard. Hence why i like the red led' lights.

I remember once I was out running, and blew a hose coming off the seapump. The water temp gauge was hot, but I didnt notice that, but I did notice the LED light had come on for the auto bilge pump. I thought why is that on??? Then looked at all my gauges, and saw the water temp at 200*(normally at 100-120*). Immediatly shut it down, and found a bilge full of water. Had I not seen that red led light come on, i probably would have smoked that engine since i was running at 4000+ rpm.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

I believe it is to hard to monitor transmissions. When there is a measurable problem I believe it is to late. Keep an eye on fluid levels and make sure you have water pressure gauges so you can make sure water is going through the cooler. The last transmission I replaced was from water coming in from my transom through my exhaust through holes splashing on my transmission vent. Bad ring gasket.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I would really be interested in hearing what kind of temps people have seen in the sump of some Hubers or maybe even Marc's trannies. I have been looking at trans temps in a friends boat with some 572/750's with 1450 Hubers. Pumps are KE 3 stage with the front impeller going to 19" trannie cooler with #16 and then overboard. I cannot get these things to run any cooler than 215 deg. Gaffrigs show about 10 deg hotter than the real temp. I am measuring with an accurate hand held with a probe right down to the bottom of the pan. Even had the trannies freshened with basically same operating temps. Have fluid pressure guages and they look fine at 140-150 running hot.

So I took at look at my boat with 1050 Hubers and after running at 4000 rpm for a couple minutes they read 190 deg.. They have never been a problem so I thought I would use them as a base line. In both boats engines run very cool so the pumps are doing their jobs. Both boats with KE pumps. Anyone else have any data?