Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody have info on D-TRONIC 7.3 merc diesels? >

Anybody have info on D-TRONIC 7.3 merc diesels?

Notices

Anybody have info on D-TRONIC 7.3 merc diesels?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by diesel2fast4u
Those are not the V8 7.3 but the inlines, can't see if they are 5 or 6 cilinder.

I have seen so much engine fails on those inlines
The ones in the picture are 6's, had the V8's put in later but I have no pictures of those.Had the V-8 for short time before my friend [ Merc rep] had to send those back after lost the contract with Merc.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John jr, I have had Mercruiser 7.3 diesel for almost 10 years and can confirm that the engine is really a working horse. Now have little over 1000 hours and really satisfied. Have one engine installation in Bothnia Targa 31. The max speed is 29 knots and cruising speed 23 knots. The engine is great maybe the given torque is more that enough to Bravo 3 drive. Have to be patient while riding on the waves. Here is video of cruising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFGrH...e_gdata_player
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We actually got one hanging around at work, complete....totally want to get it somehow. (I work for Navistar coincidentally).

What kind of info do you guys want, I could probably dig up some stuff in the archives. I know we had a marine 6.0 on the dyno that was making like 600 hp!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

spectras only what kind of difference in fuel economy did you see between the two packages. Fenderjack I would think if you are looking for a 300+hp marine diesel you have many much better options to choose from than the 7.3's.