Notices

540 Issues

Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yschmidt
I did a leakdown on my motors coming out of my boat...it's been all downhill since then.

Guess how many hours are on these bearings?

Mains

i would suggest those bearings are not "mechanically damaged" i would suggest that they are prematurely " worn out " by virtue if an extremely bad assembly. it would appear to me that the clearences were squeaky tight and allowed no oil film to speak of and generated very very high local temps. i see no evidence of them being pounded or extruded and they are all exactly the same. the fact that they are all the same points to some machining error like a bad align bore that the assembler never recognized

in my opinion , the person that built this assy simply assembled the kit as they got it with no regard to clearences.

it certainly could have been a oil pan full of fuel but if you say no then thats that. this is simple lack of lubrication throughout the entire system... not some local random failure.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

Correct these aren't "damaged" they are prematurely worn out. They are clevite bearings, always 20w-50 oil, WIX filters with the exception of the first one from the builder being a Fram, and multiple oil changes in the total of 20 HOURS of use.

I did not build these in my garage. They were built by one of Powerboat's top 10 engine builders.

20 HOURS!

Here is the crank. Notice anything not normal?
Attached Thumbnails 540 Issues-dsc00768-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00770-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00771-1.jpg  

540 Issues-dsc00773-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00775-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct these aren't "damaged" they are prematurely worn out. They are clevite bearings, always 20w-50 oil, WIX filters with the exception of the first one from the builder being a Fram, and multiple oil changes in the total of 20 HOURS of use.

I did not build these in my garage. They were built by one of Powerboat's top 10 engine builders.

20 HOURS!

Here is the crank. Notice anything not normal?
How are you routing the oil, any by passes blocked?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 hours!
Ouch!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i did not realize the engine had 20 hrs,i thaught it had a lot more,the journal that is blueing tells the story,not enough clearance,either bearing clearance,or rod side clearance.very lucky it did not spin a bearing.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

after looking at the crank,i am very suprised,did gellner assemble this engine?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

well... 20 hours is a long time in the world of new motors. a motor wth bad clearences or poorly assembled will look like this at 20 minutes. at 20 hrs i would have to think that something else is going on. this really looks like a fundemental lubrication issue. low oil pressure caused by extremely high oil temps. or fuel diluted oil or something along those lines. without fixing anything, i think i would get a fresh set of bearings and check the clearences as they exist right now with proper measuring tools... not plastigage. that info is going to give you real direction. if those numbers are good, then your oil system killed your motor somehow... either hi temps or low press. if those numbers are bad, i think imight have to call my engine builder and ask him why that is...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

It is a Gen IV block, Teague billet filter mount - no bypass to be blocked.
It is really hard to capture in a picture, (glares and angles) make it hard to see what the naked eye sees.

The journals on the crank aren't burned up - couple more pictures added.

This isn't just one motor - both motors are exactly the same.
Attached Thumbnails 540 Issues-dsc00820-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00821-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00822-1.jpg  

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

It is most definitley an oiling issue, caused by a modification to the crank.
Did anyone notice the troughs ground into the journals at the oiling holes?

I didn't assemble these, certainly didn't pay for plasti-gage assembly.

The real problem is this isn't where it ends. I am working on more pictures to show what else was found.
Attached Thumbnails 540 Issues-dsc00767-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00769-1.jpg   540 Issues-dsc00772-1.jpg  

Last edited by yschmidt; 02-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

It is most definitley an oiling issue, caused by a modification to the crank.
Did anyone notice the troughs ground into the journals at the oiling holes?

I didn't assemble these, certainly didn't pay for plasti-gage assembly.

The real problem is this isn't where it ends. I am working on more pictures to show what else was found.
I noticed them, and from what I recall, the oil holes need to have the edges relieved back, but in an circular pattern not too much larger than the hole itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.