Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gen VI oil filter bypass valve and block mounted oil cooler valve >

Gen VI oil filter bypass valve and block mounted oil cooler valve

Notices

Gen VI oil filter bypass valve and block mounted oil cooler valve

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there anyway to tell without pulling it apart?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

NOPE!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 04-10-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting this to add some more info regarding the oil bypass valves if this is the route you choose.

http://www.performanceboats.com//att...chmentid=85242

Last edited by chrisf695; 03-11-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Along the lines of this subject... How much power is the stock Mercruiser setup good for? I'm using the factory oil lines/relocator unit from the stock 454mag on my ZZ502 motor, and may change the cam putting me at around 600hp. At what point should the OEM system be booted and newer (bigger) lines used?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Along the lines of this subject... How much power is the stock Mercruiser setup good for? I'm using the factory oil lines/relocator unit from the stock 454mag on my ZZ502 motor, and may change the cam putting me at around 600hp. At what point should the OEM system be booted and newer (bigger) lines used?
Now!

The problem is the stock lines. They use an inverted flare fitting on a lot of their hoses. If you look at the ID of that fitting, it's pretty small. The passages in the stock adapters are small as well. You will be doing yourself a big favor by ditching at least the adapter and lines. Most of Mercury's filter mounts have pipe thread so you can install an adapter in them and use AN hose and fittings. Also, you stock cooler will probably not keep up with the added power.
Eddie
Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Is there a kit? I have to yank the motor soon to switch out the coupler. Seems like a good time to do it.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some questions, I'm sure these will be dumb and redundant to most of you.
I have a gen vi block out of a check truck. I out it in the boat with a different cam 2 years ago. I spun some bearings off of the rear main after 20 minutes of running. I then decided to do a build to the 496. I'm using most of the front drive accessories from the mark iv 454 that cam in the boat. I planned on using g the regular oil filter location since it's not hard to get to in the boat. Then I was going to run the holes in the block for the new oil cooler I bought. The oil collar is for up to 750 hp motor. Mine is supposed to be around 600 hp. After reading the post from Chris695 I realize I will need a fitting to prevent recirculation in the oil cooler. My questions for you is why not run the passages on the block? Or do I just get that one fitting and replace both springs?