Power Steering Pump Reservoir >

Power Steering Pump Reservoir

Notices

Power Steering Pump Reservoir

Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Reservoir

I had some of my engine pullys and brackets powder coated for a little bling. The problem is or maybe it isn't a problem, when they shot the power steering reservoir they coated the inside as well as the outside. My question is will the powder coating hold up with the hot fluid inside or will it disolve and cause contamination to the fluid. Should I media blast the inside clean or is it ok to use as is. Thanks for any insite.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Nobody has an opinion on this? Unbelievable.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered

Yes, I've got an opinion (as usual). The powder coating will not degrade due to the fluid but it is only going to be as good as the surface preparation given prior to its application. Powder coating can be done a variety of ways the best being a seven step process with multiple etchings and washings. They all start with a good media blast operation however and it is doubtful that the inside of the reservoir was so prepared unless they absolutely intended to coat the inside and it is not just coated by incidental treatment. Meaning that they did not seal it off for one reason or another prior to coating. There are good reasons for this, but a good one is that you do not want to handle a clean part prior to coating and you can't seal it prior to washing.

If the surface prep is not adequate, the power coating will disbond and start flaking off. Not good in a power steering system. If you cannot verify the surface prep or cannot get a commitment out of the coater that they intended to apply to the inside and adequately prepared the surface, then you would be better to bead blast it off and clean the inside real good prior to use.

Hope this helps,

Dan
Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

Yes, just what I was thinking. That you for your insight, you have been a good help.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it will hold up under long term fluid....better clean the inside off