Choosing trim tabs........ >

Choosing trim tabs........

Notices

Choosing trim tabs........

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing trim tabs........

I have decided to put trim tabs on my boat, my biggest issue is finding out what will be best for my boat and budget. I have a 22.5' Crownline CCR with a whipplecharged 454 MAG. I am looking at the Dana Marine LT-500 set ups, one is a 12 X 12 and the other is a 12 X 16. I have also looked at the Lenco systems but seems that the billet/hydraulic is a better bang for the buck, but is it over kill for my boat?? boat runs 65-70 GPS and has a hard time getting on plane when loaded with fuel and friends, also is a bit "wild" at high speeds.

Looking for any advise on what to do!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the smaller tabs will work just fine for your size boat which ever your pocket and taste prefer. On another note and not to sound like a nudge but with the boat loaded down like you sugest it might not be a good idea to push it to the max. If your hitting the 70mph mark and the boat is getting squirly you might want to invest into upgrading the steering? Check the system out first for slop and play, even the slightest bit is multiplied at speeds that fast, you don't want a failure then, trust me.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 178 Likes on 66 Posts

A 12"x12" tab should be all you need for that boat. Although the billet / cast tabs are truly the best, you probably won't get your money out of them on resale with that boat. The Lenco's should do just fine. Just be carefukl with them until you get used to them. They react very quickly.

As has already been said, you should really look into hydraulic steering. 70 MPH is a lot for that hull and even the slightest bit of play is going to make it even more of a handful. Quite honestly, your drive is way too deep (X dimension) too and that's part of what's causing the interesting handling. Crownlines are great boats, but they're generally not designed for speed. You're pushing it already. Don't push it over the edge.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys. I think the Lenco tabs is the route I will go, I do not plan on having this boat for the long haul and agree that this hull is not meant for the speeds I am pushing it to, external steering is just to much of a investment for this boat, its more of a novelty then a serious speed boat, fun to run with some big boats and surprise allot of people, but it just doesn't cut it on anything remotely rough.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

As Too Stroke says, this is all the tab you need for that boat.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/LE...+Boats%29.html

You might want to speak with Bob Lloyd at Full Throttle Marine. He has done a few 225 Crownline projects. www.fullthrottlemarine.com. He is also on this site under bobl. Are you running a Bravo I or Bravo III?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
As Too Stroke says, this is all the tab you need for that boat.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/LE...+Boats%29.html

You might want to speak with Bob Lloyd at Full Throttle Marine. He has done a few 225 Crownline projects. www.fullthrottlemarine.com. He is also on this site under bobl. Are you running a Bravo I or Bravo III?
Bravo 1 27P Mirage+ I have terrible prop slip.

I have spoke with Bob, great guy. I figured out that for the money spent I would enjoy this boat till I could afford something better like a 288 Sunsation, I want to stay in a single drive and under 30ft with a nice cabin, its fun for now but is no way a true speed boat.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Give Brett a call at BBlades to get your prop dialed in.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Give Brett a call at BBlades to get your prop dialed in.
For sure, I was going to head up there last year but ran out of time. I am lucky, they are only 45 minutes from my house, so I have the luxury of testing on their home lake.