nose cone tack weld ? >

nose cone tack weld ?

Notices

nose cone tack weld ?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nose cone tack weld ?

can i put a couple tack welds on my cones to the case without gutting the case will the heat hurt anything with just a couple tack welds then epoxy them on ater that. Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

first, with the drive full of oil, it won't get hot enough to weld. second, you could burn a pin hole in the case. could burn it on back side of weld where you can't see it, just make pretty rainbows in the water behind you. the nosecone isn't worth risking the drive case. fill it with epoxy and jam it on. then clean up the edges with more, and mebbe a little filler.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

I have welded and metal finished many nose cones on drives and never had any issues. I will weld them solid up the sides and fill any lows with weld and shape. I have always drained the oil, but I don't gut them.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

so a few tack welds with oil drained should be ok then. After i tack weld them then i will epoxy the edges then use all metal to finish off then paint. The pick up tube how do you fasten it to the cone jb weld or something like it.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
I have welded and metal finished many nose cones on drives and never had any issues. I will weld them solid up the sides and fill any lows with weld and shape. I have always drained the oil, but I don't gut them.
That's good to know but for a different reason. Cavitation is eating my Imco lower behind the water intake and I will need to run a weld bead after I figure out how to stop the problem. I plan to discuss it with someone at Imco.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

so a few tack welds with oil drained should be ok then. After i tack weld them then i will epoxy the edges then use all metal to finish off then paint. The pick up tube how do you fasten it to the cone jb weld or something like it.

Also the cones have a v grove in bottom and a notch in the top do they need to be ground down to fit all the way on till the grove and notch are all the way in.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by rssteiny

Also the cones have a v grove in bottom and a notch in the top do they need to be ground down to fit all the way on till the grove and notch are all the way in.

Thanks
the best way to install them is to just epoxy them on,, you fill the whole nose cone with epoxy to trap the water out of it,,if the nose cone is hollow inside water will get traped behind it and if the boat is stored in doors in a non heater garage the water will freeze and push the nose cones off the drive..
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
the best way to install them is to just epoxy them on,, you fill the whole nose cone with epoxy to trap the water out of it,,if the nose cone is hollow inside water will get traped behind it and if the boat is stored in doors in a non heater garage the water will freeze and push the nose cones off the drive..
Wouldn't the epoxy work as an insulator and not allow for thermal heat transfer in the front of the lower. I recall some people adding nose cones and then simultaneously blow lowers.

I'm on the fence about adding one that is why I bring it up.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

for those on the fence about adding nose cones, they add very little until you get into the high 70's or better. if you have stock merc steering, they add stress to the steering because they hang out in front of the steering axis. all in all, they aren't considered such a good idea...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.