Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
T/D shaft rocker life span >

T/D shaft rocker life span

Notices

T/D shaft rocker life span

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to my earlier post. I had two sets inspected and freshened at T&D only to have two more break within 3 hours of run time. I was assured by T&D prior to sending them that they would not be a problem after they worked on them. Now they tell me that they cannot guarantee anything as they do not check them for cracks only replace any parts that they deem worn. Not very pleased with their customer service as I would never had them reworked if I hadn't been assured several times by T&D that they would be good to go. (I was led to believe that this was an uncommon problem but this past weekend I was talking to another boater that experienced the same type of breaking problems with T&D rockers) Now T&D tells me they want $3200 for 2 sets of steel replacement arms or they might be able to use some of my parts from my originals and that will cost me only $2400 or so but won't know until they inspect my original parts. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me! Did a little research and I think I can get Crower S-Steel arms machined to fit my current stands for $800 per set. Just an FYI for anyone contemplating using T&D so you don't make the same mistake that I did!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by catman01
Update to my earlier post. I had two sets inspected and freshened at T&D only to have two more break within 3 hours of run time. I was assured by T&D prior to sending them that they would not be a problem after they worked on them. Now they tell me that they cannot guarantee anything as they do not check them for cracks only replace any parts that they deem worn. Not very pleased with their customer service as I would never had them reworked if I hadn't been assured several times by T&D that they would be good to go. (I was led to believe that this was an uncommon problem but this past weekend I was talking to another boater that experienced the same type of breaking problems with T&D rockers) Now T&D tells me they want $3200 for 2 sets of steel replacement arms or they might be able to use some of my parts from my originals and that will cost me only $2400 or so but won't know until they inspect my original parts. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me! Did a little research and I think I can get Crower S-Steel arms machined to fit my current stands for $800 per set. Just an FYI for anyone contemplating using T&D so you don't make the same mistake that I did!
I sorta thought that when having them "inspected" was mentioned, if they are fatigued but show no signs of distress or cracks then all that could be done would be to change the tips and hardware. I bought new steel t/d ones, are the crower ones you mention that drop onto the t/d stands 800$ a full set or just 8 exhaust? I think even with re-using my shafts it cost me more than that for just 8 exhaust from TD in steel, Smitty
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Sometimes metal fatigue is hard to detect without an X-Ray. I've seen mild steel shatter like glass in stamping presses from the constant pounding. I was thinking about switching to aluminum rockers before I did my homework. I'm sticking with my Pro Magnums, they seem to have the best reputation in the less than stratosphere priced components.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Price is for a full set(16) stainless rockers minus shafts as I can reuse my shafts (same diameter). T&D seems to think pretty highly of their parts and prices them accordingly as they want $1120 for 16 empty bodies and then I use everything from my existing rockers except the the body! Not so sure I feel the same as they do when I can buy S-Steel for about $400.00 less per set with all new parts included . Kinda hard to justify their parts.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I wonder if they magnaflux them or what? I will either run them another 100 hours or sell them while still perfect and buy new steel ones.
don't think you can magnaflux aluminum since it uses a "magnet"
Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to know more about the Crower units on the T&D mounts.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
RBH
Platinum Member

Just broke one this weekend at Cumberland Poker Run, 1075"s with about 220 hours on them.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

Not overly impressed as I started having problems last year and after several hundred dollars and reassurance several times from T&D ( prior to getting my money) I am still having breakage issues. Fortunately it is my own personal engines and not a customers! This will quite possibly be my last set of T&D products as I would never feel comfortable using these for a customer after these issues and it seems that their steel ones are gold impregnated based on the price!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered

KVOGT, feel free to call me about this and I will put you in touch with the guy you need to talk to about possible Crower replacements. My cell is 989-464-5531. Rob
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

RB when did it break? I wondered where you went Saturday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.