Oil pressure at block vs filter pad >

Oil pressure at block vs filter pad

Notices

Oil pressure at block vs filter pad

Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil pressure at block vs filter pad

I want to mount a mechanical gauge on my engine for peace of mind. I mounted it where my sensor is(above the stock filter location on the block)and it read 45 lbs. I then mounted it in the remote filter pad and it read 55lbs.

Is there a reason it would be higher at the remote pad? I was thinking it has something to do with resistance from the oil lines but shouldn't that raise the pressure a bit everywhere?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You were probably reading it before the filter in the remote filter mount. When reading in the block, you are after the filter. As the oil warms up, those 2 numbers will get closer to each other. Warmer oil flows easier through the filter.
Eddie
Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You were probably reading it before the filter in the remote filter mount. When reading in the block, you are after the filter. As the oil warms up, those 2 numbers will get closer to each other. Warmer oil flows easier through the filter.
Eddie
Ahhh, I didn't realize that the block was measuring after the filter. But, if I put the gauge in an "out" port in the remote filter pad shouldn't that be reading as it comes out of the filter? Maybe the additional oil line and oil cooler lower the pressure at the block when the oil is cold?

Thanks Eddie.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 04-19-2012 at 08:28 AM.