Blowing out my dip stick?

Notices

Blowing out my dip stick?

Old 06-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing out my dip stick?

I just started running my new rebuilt 502 Mag efi gen5 with whipple chargers. One engine is continually running 70 PSI+ on the oil pressure and when I go wide open it usually pops the dip stick out about 2" and pukes out some oil and what looks like a black goo out in my bilge. My oil level has been OK I checked it before and after each run. But the both times I have run it wide Open, I get this dip stick deal.

The oil pressure on the other engine is only about 60 PSI. What should I look for? Are ther PCV Valves or some sort of crank case ventilation that could be clogged? Could I have a bad piston ring seal and getting blow by? Should I tape up the stick so It wont come out. Both engines seem to run fine and are very strong. Any Ideas will help, I will be calling the Builder tomorrow.

Here is a picture of what I am getting:
Old 06-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sorry forgot the Pict:
Attached Thumbnails Blowing out my dip stick?-puke.jpg  
Old 06-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Registered

I had a motor that did that. Only after a good long hard run would I notice the dip stick sticking out. I think I blew up that motor before I found the problem. Hope you don't have the same luck. My first guess is you have too much blow-by & pressure has to go somewhere. Since you have 2 motors & one is not doing it. I would check for cloged breathers first. If that looks good then do a compression check. A leak down test will give you more information but I think it is harder to do then just a simple compresson test. If everything looks good then do leak down. Last thing to check is to verify if both dip sticks are the same length & marked the same. Also make sure dip stick tubes are same lenght.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:10 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

This is definetly a reason for a leakdown test.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Ray, are you gettng any puffing out of the valve cover breather hoses?

If not it is likely that the dipstick is just working itself out do to vibration. On my engines I have a spring that hooks over the end of the dipstick and holds it in. Without the spring it will walk up and spray oil every place.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Registered

I've been having this problem on my port engine for some time. I latched it down to something to stop the pukage. I blew the motor that weekend (mem day). I have new motor in and am breaking it in. New long block. Still pooping dipstick out. Took channel locks to the neck of the dipstick to make it a tight fit on the tube. All is now well. If you have a blowby prob you can tell at the valve cover with how much smoke is coming out. I had a loose fitting dipstcik. Grenading of engine was not caused or a symptom of the dipstick poopage. You will know if something bad is causing that. Crimp it and be happy.

BT
Old 06-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Registered

Hey marc... we musta been typin the same time. Found any carrier bearings for me yet?

BT
Old 06-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Could be just a loose dip stick, It is not really very tight, I will try the channel lock method. and see what happends. I did not know this was a common occurance. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I've heard of this problem happening before. Sometimes it's excess blow by, sometimes it's windage, sometimes is vibration. I believe that most of the dedicated race pans go to a screw in dipstick to eliminate this problem.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Registered

This is comon on alot of blower applications, if you are using a canton oil pan this is definatly a comon thing

Quick Reply: Blowing out my dip stick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.