Water psi Big tube headers >

Water psi Big tube headers

Notices

Water psi Big tube headers

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Water psi Big tube headers

Hey guys, how many of you run water restrictors in the rubber hose on the back of the headers where it dumps in to the tail pipe? I have TONS of Volume just alittle low on psi. I know merc even makes these. Just dont want steam pockets or the top of my headers to turn brown.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Water psi Big tube headers-imag0218.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Are you running that bad boy with a single stage pump??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Thank u. Yes I am
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Registered

Wink

Most of the good marine high performance blower engine builders generally use 2 or even sometimes 3 stage raw water pumps especially if you are also using a chiller. I would ask this question of some of the OSO expert builders here like Eddie Young, Cobra Power, Whipple,Haxby Speed, etc. and I think they will give you some true good info on this subject for your monster. You got a lot of heat under power there to get rid of don't get yourself caught short.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You say you have tons of volume. That's what you want. Remember, pressure is merely a measure of restriction. You need volume to keep the engine cool. Are you having a temp issue? Do you just think you need more pressure even though you aren't having a temp issue?
Eddie
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Zero temp issue just low psi. Like 4-5psi at 40-70MPH and 8-10psi at 80-130mph Just fear steam pockets. Or u think i am good and just run her. Motor temp 100-135degs

THank you
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You say you have tons of volume. That's what you want. Remember, pressure is merely a measure of restriction. You need volume to keep the engine cool. Are you having a temp issue? Do you just think you need more pressure even though you aren't having a temp issue?
Eddie
But you also need pressure to fill the cavities, high flow with no pressure won't do that.

Skydog: Be sure to get rid of any air that gets picked up through your water pickup and the cooling might get better.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Question

Those pressure numbers don't seem horribly low and the cool running kind of indicates you might not have any problems at all. I guess I would just recommend checking the calibration of your pressure readings with possibly a manaul guage? Just a thought. As for steam pockets I am not sure how higher system pressure resolves that kind of condition even if you had that situation. Maybe Eddie or others can clarify that?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Ty guys!!! Yea I am feeding my sea strainer with two water lines in. One is the nose cone on lower unit the 2nd is a very nice threw the Bottom of the boat both should be seeing soild water with little too zero air in the water.
Well I think I will just run and keep a eye on my headers for discoloured.
Thank u guys
Attached Thumbnails Water psi Big tube headers-imag0211.jpg  

Last edited by skydog; 04-26-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Higher pressure won't necessarily eliminate the possibility of steam pockets. it could actually make them easier to form.THere propensity to form is mostly dependant on the angle of the engine. If it sits lower in the front or is neutral, then it could certainly form some pockets in the rear. If the engine is higher in the front,then the odds of pockets forming in it are slim.

THe easiest way to eliminate the possibility is to put a bleeder hose off of the rear of the intake. You can come out with 1/8" NPT fittings. Go to #4 (1/4") hose into a tee. You can then send one 1/4" hose to a dump that goes overboard. You could also dump it into the headers if you have a bung. The other option is to bring it up front to the thermostat housing and tie it in there.
I prefer to dump it overboard. You can put it on the side of the boat and use it for a verification that you're pumping water. It will keep water flowing at the rear of the engine and release any trapped air.

Your pressure isn't really that low. Do the bypass for piece of mind and you will be fine.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.