bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil temp

What is the perfect oil temp?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I like it hot enough to steam off any condensation, 220+, no higher than 260 running hard.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran mine yesterday and I notice it gets to about 220 running around 60mph for long distance and I watched it after I bumped it up a notch lol and it pretty much stayed the same. But I also noticed if I drop down to around 50 or 55mph it drops pretty fast to about 180 to 200 on lond distance. I dont know if this is good but thats what I get. hope this helps. If anyone thinks my temps are to high or low for the speeds I put up please let me know.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
What is the perfect oil temp?
as quoted above but with some caveats... your motor will require 210 to 230 all the time... so... if you spend 90 % of your time at 1500 rpm cruising around, get an oil thermostat. if you spend 50 % of your life at 1500 and the rest at 6000 then get a thermostat with adequate flow rate... one line size bigger than what you have... and make sure the cooler is sized such that you could run wide open until you run out of gas and the oil temp remains STABLE at 220 - 230

what you don't want is to see the oil temp continue to climb the longer you run hard...

the last thing you want is to have the ability to run the motor such that you create a higher thermal load than you can dissipate but still have the ability to maintain the necessary temps for good lubrication
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

One other consideration, is where you are taking your reading. If you are getting 230+ AFTER the cooler, I wouldnt like it.

Im not sure on this, but I think most oils are designed for a operating temperature of 190-210 or so. I say this, because most automobiles run water temps in that range, and under most conditions the engines water temp dictates the oil temp. I remember back in high school when I worked for a jiffy lube type of place. I was the oil drain guy. Those cars would come in on a hot summer day, and I'd have to drain the oil out of them. Granted most of it was 10w30, probably around 180-200*, but holy hell, that oil came out like water when its hot. Used to get my hands burnt quite often. i couldnt imagine how 250-275* oil would feel getting sprayed on my hands, when you considered boiling water at 212* will scauld the crap out of your skin.

I personally wouldnt like seeing oil over 230*, but thats just me. I'm no oil guy.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Fountain's oil temp got up to 260º at WOT last fall. I'm going to take the oil coolers off to back-flush them and make a visual inspection. If they are clean I will probably move up to larger coolers. I'm hoping for temps in the 200-220º range. It would be nice if some of the pro engine builders would give their opinions.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
My Fountain's oil temp got up to 260º at WOT last fall. I'm going to take the oil coolers off to back-flush them and make a visual inspection. If they are clean I will probably move up to larger coolers. I'm hoping for temps in the 200-220º range. It would be nice if some of the pro engine builders would give their opinions.
assuming you aren't running k mart reconstituted garbage, any modern non synthetic will survive ( SURVIVE) to 280 -290. you will have no damage.
synthetics have another 40 degees in hand and will survive a lot better.

you know right away if you are in trouble... pull the dipstick out and smell it. if it smells like dead fish your oil has overheated and isn't oil anymore. if it still smells like oil you are fine.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I checked the oil temp in my Suburban after hauling my boat for 200 miles at 70+ and it was only 190. That was on a cool summer evening in the low 70's with the air running. My boat runs the same and no problems with condensation. You don't need to boil the condensation out of the oil, you only need to raise the temperature enough where the water vapor pressure is increased to evaporate out.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I checked the oil temp in my Suburban after hauling my boat for 200 miles at 70+ and it was only 190. That was on a cool summer evening in the low 70's with the air running. My boat runs the same and no problems with condensation. You don't need to boil the condensation out of the oil, you only need to raise the temperature enough where the water vapor pressure is increased to evaporate out.
condensation is only one element of correct oil temp. the viscosity of the oil and how it flows and lubricates is all down to the temp. the CORRECT operation temp is 220 ish below 200 is too cold and wrong... just like running too rich wrong even though the motor still runs that way. and doing things wrong when the right way is known... well there is a term for that.

Last edited by stevesxm; 04-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I just got an e-mail from Amsoil tech support and this is what he said.

The optimum oil temperature for any oil is between 200 and 220 degrees F. But---- the recommended high temperature maximum is about 270 deg. F.