Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you get engine hatch open with no power? >

How do you get engine hatch open with no power?

Notices

How do you get engine hatch open with no power?

Old 06-27-2002, 09:47 PM
imq707s

Default How do you get engine hatch open with no power?

I had my 21' Scarab out on Lake of the Ozarks last weekend, and all of a sudden the motor died and I lost electrical power to everything. I started checking fuses in the dash, but eveything looked fine. Then I thought to myself " how in the hell am I supposed to get the engine hatch open when there is no power to run the motor that raises the hatch cover?". I remembered hearing from a friend that if you tug hard enough on the hatch, something inside the hatch lift motor will pop loose and allow you to get the hatch open. Well I pulled and pulled and that damn thing didn't budge. So after sitting dead in the water for 20min, the power all of a sudden turned back on and I was able to raise the engine compartment hatch. Turns out that the main power conector that supplys power to the motor and everything else was loose. I plugged it back in and eveything was fine. Now I'm absolutly terrified that if my batterys ever go dead or something shorts out I'm screwed. What's up??

Old 06-27-2002, 10:19 PM
99Hammer

Instal a set of jumper posts under the rear bench seat. The Baja's come with them.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:19 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very similar thing happened to me. Only my problem was that the ground wire going to my hatch motor broke loose. I had a hell of a time getting in there without the motor. I also could not pull up against the motor. I was able to get the hatch up just high enough to jam a 2x4 under it to hold it. Then I bent up a threaded rod, welded a punch on the end and knocked out the pin on the hatch with the punch and chisel. Not easy to do because the lifted hatch was putting pressure on the pin. Now I hooked up a Morse Cable to the pin so all I have to do is lift the hatch up slightly and pull the pin out with the cable.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:21 PM
Registered

I do not have this problem but I thought that I you have hyd. lift you should have a access port to reach your hand in and pull out a quick pin that holds the ram in the bracket or like Checkmate do you do

Last edited by FloridianSon; 06-27-2002 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Intolerant1

I have an access port behind my rear seat cushion. Lets me reach in and pull the cotter pin at the bottom. ALso lets me bang on it with whatever is handy when someone holds the button down to long and it jams. This is also my fire extinguisher access hole. I thought an access to the engine bay for shooting in fire extinguisher was required?

Old 06-28-2002, 07:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can lift mine without unhooking anything.
The lift bracket/frame is mounted like a hinge at the rear and not attached at the front, Only to the ram, and it rides on rubber pads. I can lift mine all the way open.

Intolerant1,
I have no access holes to my engine compartment, only the vents.
But then I have an automatic Halon extinguisher system.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:54 AM
Registered

I just notched the upper bracket holes. The weight of the hatch keeps it in the notch, but you can lift it up and slide out of the notch if needed. Some of the marine parts shops also sell a bracket with a slide that lets you lift the hatch far enough to reach in and pull a pin. If you don't have some means to lift the hatch with no power you will someday get to pull it open by pulling the screws loose from the fiberglass.

-Greg
Old 06-28-2002, 08:01 AM
imq707s

I can loosen the bolt that hold the end of the lift shaft to the hatch cover, that way I can pull it open when ever I need to but I'm affraid that if I hit a large wave it might pop open and rip off the boat. It that something I shoulf worry about, or should I just loosen the bolt so that the weight of the hatch cover holds itself down, and the ram in only used to lift the hatch.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also put some thought into your situation, because my hatch set-up is similar. I could pull on the damn thing all day long and the only way I'd get it to open would be to tear the screws out. What makes things even worse is that I have twim jackscrews raising the hatch.

Fortunately, I have jumper posts right under the bench seat which can be a lifesaver, the only catch is that you still need power to make anything work.

Since contemplating an emergency situation where I lost power and I was adrift, I wouldn't even be able to get access to an anchor since those are also stashed in the engine compartment.

Since then I never leave home without a booster pack for emergency power. It's a good thing to have on board if your anchors are also stored in the engine compartment.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you have a booster pack or another boat you can rig up a cigarette lighter cable and plug it into you lighter outlet (provided you have one) This will work in most cases but if there is a short or a broke wire it may not. Eddie marine carries a mount that slips about 4" alowing you to get to a quick release pin.

See the following:

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/deta...&CategoryID=46

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/deta...&CategoryID=46

Quick Reply: How do you get engine hatch open with no power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.