Notices

Oil pressure issue motor with 30 hrs

Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cubicinches
You mean a 6.385" rod?

Why can't a 496 be externally balanced?
Eagle 4340 crank is internal, but they do offer a 4.25" cast crank that is external. So, is he running a cast or forged eagle crank??
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess without knowing what components were used, or if the entire assembly was purchased as a balanced assembly, we don't know. If they used their own components with the crank, and balanced it themselves, It could be internal or external... But if they used a weighted balancer and flywheel on an internally balanced assembly, I'd think we'd have heard something about where his nasty vibration was coming from...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

You mean a 6.385" rod?

Why can't a 496 be externally balanced?
yes,,6.135 + .250 = 6.385..

it would cost way too much in mercury to ballance the flywheel and harmonic..plus throwing all that weight around will put a twist in the crank at the higher rpm's and may brake under hard conditions..better to keep the weight next to a solid source then throwing it around off the end of the cranks ends..

the longer rod legnth is to keep the sides of the pistons from putting more pressure on the side of the cylindes walls and the upper rod bearings..
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
yes,,6.135 + .250 = 6.385..

it would cost way too much in mercury to ballance the flywheel and harmonic..plus throwing all that weight around will put a twist in the crank at the higher rpm's and may brake under hard conditions..better to keep the weight next to a solid source then throwing it around off the end of the cranks ends..

the longer rod legnth is to keep the sides of the pistons from putting more pressure on the side of the cylindes walls and the upper rod bearings..
Ummmm.... Ah, nevermind.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Ummmm.... Ah, nevermind.
why ask if you already know the answer?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Eagle 4340 crank is internal, but they do offer a 4.25" cast crank that is external. So, is he running a cast or forged eagle crank??
exactly. all i am suggesting is that while all the conjecture is interesting entertainment, isn't it time to actually find out what's inside the motor , and what went wrong and stop guessing ?

its not like there is a choice whether it comes apart or not... it's coming apart either the easy way or the hard way... and while the alleged statements by the builder don't inspire confidence, that is second hand , self serving info.

i simply suggest basing conclusions on the hardware as it actually exists.. not how it is guessed to exit.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
practice what you preach,by the way,i still think you are a prik,and a stupid one at that,now
wow... that really stings. no more christmas cards for you...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Registered

He knew to use a 427 flywheel. I remember having to go to my local classic corvette shop to source a 427 flywheel. Its a forged Eagle crank...Everything is forged in there.

Question. Was thinking of trying one last thing before I pull the motor. What if I pull the remote filter assm and oil cooler lines just screw an oil filter direct to the block. Could be some restriction in the cooler, lines, or is there a bypass plug in the remote housing mount that could be hung up?

Last edited by redstinger; 05-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
wow... that really stings. no more christmas cards for you...
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

Do you remember anything being said about the dampner? If the flywheel was changed to nuetral for internal balance the dampner should have been changed also. Just out of curiosity what filters have you been using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.