Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Remove Mercruiser catalyst >

Remove Mercruiser catalyst

Notices

Remove Mercruiser catalyst

Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray - You're kidding me! Right? What are you going to do when the only engines you can get have catalysts? This guy sells products to read just about ANY marine ECM. There is no magic here. For a shop as big as yours, you need one of their products:

http://www.rinda.com

I am not looking for a guinea pig, just want to know who has tried this box from CP Performance. At some point, my warranty will be over and I will want to look at a set of nice headers. Perhaps by then you will have this figured out and will be able to guide customers and sell product.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Ray, my apologies. I should have told you the whole story. The camshaft part numbers came from a call to the Merc dealer. They looked up the parts and said they were the same.

Regarding the fuel flow and engine timing, that came from a guy who had a pair of catalyzed 8.1s and a Rinda Technologies tool. We compared the numbers to another guy's boat with a pair of 8.1 without cats. Part throttle, the cat engines burn less fuel, but at 5000 rpm they are about the same. And this makes sense as they both make about the same power.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Raylar knows about the Rinda scan tools since we have been using them since 2001 and referring performance boaters for just about as many years. We have the most recent software scan version on our laptops and computers. Just so everyone else here knows, there is no Rinda scan tool to my current knowledge that reads or displays injector pulse widths and if you graph and record on the tool you can follow the timing advance if you make full consistant rpm power pulls, but if these are not done on a dyno with loads or in the boat with loads, these readings just reving the engine are pretty much useless.
Yes ,I do know a little about marine ECM programming and systems since we do that everyday for a living and we have reporgrammed hundreds of Mercury ECM's and many Delco Mefi ECM's for hundreds of marine engines.

There have been so few new performance boats built and equipped with these new engines, let alone performance versions that there is no demand or resonable need at this point that will support product development or investment in upgrading these engines let alone trying to keep from breaking laws with respect to tampering with the systems and keeping them in some form of allowable compliance.

When it comes to the new marine catalyst equipped engines I do not know specifically all models build specs or OBD-M controls and tuning in detail and I do not consider myself yet an expert in these new catalyst equipped engines because we have not made that a priority in our offerings at this point.
I do know that when we come out with our products, kits or builds for some of these specific emmission engines it will be done right and they will perform properly although they will probably not always be emissions compliant.

Good luck with your research, I hope you achieve success and accomplish what you are trying to upgrade.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 06-11-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Registered

Rinda does show injector pulse widths on many engines but ole' triple nickel does not share his data and it is therefore a parameter that is "not available" when connected to a 496.

Every 350 boat I ever scanned (which is about 4 engines) did show injector pulse width as well as many other parameters that Mr. 555 does not give up. That software actually adapts itself to the unit it's talking to as to eliminate mass confusion for guys trying to read an item that is not displayed.

Of course, most of this selective data display is based on the menu item you chose when you first connect..

This could have changed over the years for the 555 with DTS??? I'm not sure bout that.. Going back to the 0308 it holds true

Last edited by SDFever; 06-12-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digging this back up. Has anyone done a cat bypass?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 510 Likes on 203 Posts

Came across this thread now. I installed the O2 by-pass (link below) and it works perfectly. I kept the 4 catalyst and 2 - O2 sensors boxed it and ditched the cast iron. All 460 lbs for both engines. Then I purchased IMCO manifolds and risers. A

pair weighed 36 lbs. So I **** canned around 380 lbs. That's the weight of around 65 gallons of gas. I noticed a notable performance change which I contributed to the weight loss.

What I had to do is buy 4 brass plugs, drill, tap and install in the backs of the manifolds for the temperature probe. I also changed out the thermostat housing

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16709...-computer.aspx
Old 09-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Mercruiser 5.0 MPI - Bypassed Downstream O2 Sensors with CP Performance Max Volt

I'm aware this is an old thread, but I'm also aware that a lot of people are still reading it (like I was a few weeks ago) trying to figure out how to correct an emissions error on their Mercruiser and/or bypass the downstream O2 sensors (which are prone to corrosion and failure, and arguably serve very little purpose).

I had an emissions error code on my 2011 Merc 5.0 MPI, and a very annoying repetitive alarm on my SmartCraft gauges.

I troubleshot it with a Rinda scan tool and determined it was my downstream bank 1 (port) 02 sensor. I actually replaced the sensor, cleared the code, and ran the boat for several hours to confirm it was fixed and I was starting off with a clean slate.

A few weeks later, I installed the CP Performance Max Volt Module to bypass the downstream O2 sensors. I have run the boat for several hours and it runs perfect. There are no issues. The CP Performance module is truly plug and play and if you can use a zip tie, you can install it without any issues.

The CP Performance module (at least in this application) does not alter your fuel mixture or have any settings that are changeable - all it does is bypass the downstream O2 sensors by simulating their voltage/resistance for the ECM. Since the downstream sensors only monitor the post catalyst exhaust gases, they have no impact on fuel mixture or engine performance.

Where a slight performance gain may be had is by removing the catalyst from the exhaust (it no longer serves any particular purpose, since my downstream O2 sensors are literally unplugged). I intend to remove the catalysts the next time I do manifolds and risers. I don't expect massive horsepower gains, but it common sense says it should open up the exhaust and run a little cooler. It also shaves a few pounds of weight from the stern of the boat, and it's a $1500 part (x2) that I will never have to replace!

Of course once you eliminate the downstream O2 sensors, you also have the option of upgrading to headers or some other aftermarket exhaust for even more gains (overkill in my case).