Oil for bolster seats >

Oil for bolster seats

Notices

Oil for bolster seats

Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil for bolster seats

I replaced my bolster resovoir now what oil couldnt find anything on google or ont he pump its self. Ive heard 5-30 works. But can I just put drive oil in there.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Registered

nobody knows what kind of oil they put in those?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... i certainly don't have any factual information to offer you but i will say that rubber seals are sensitive to what they are exposed to... so you really don't want to just go throwing something in there that will just make a mess in a short time... isn't there any sort of mfg label anywhere that gives you an idea of someone to call and ask or does it smell or feel like anything you recognize ? if i had to hazard a GUESS and i emphsize GUESS i would expect it to be a hydraulic oil ... similar to what you put in a hydraulic jack...
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Thats what I was thinking. The old fluid was redish. I looked on the pump and didnt say. The pump looks about the same as a drive pump. I beleive the pumps are keefhoffer(major misspelling)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=soldier4402;3684433]Thats what I was thinking. The old fluid was redish. I looked on the pump and didnt say. The pump looks about the same as a drive pump. I beleive the pumps are keefhoffer(major misspelling)[/QUOTE

my drive pumps used motor oil, just as you suggest in your first post. i didn't realize you had drive pumps doing the work.. i finally had to call merc directly to find that out. i had been " advised" to use every fluid there was from ATF to gear oil but the stuff that WAS in mine was clear and NOT motor oil... but then again the seals didn't last long either. when i did what merc said it was a " forever fix" . if you have merc pumps, i would call merc w/ the part numbers and see what they say.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i know this is hard to beleive,but i agree with steve,i think you would be safe in useing 30w motor oil.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a mineral based oil, no synthetic.

Beleive it or not fork oil for a motorcycle will work perfectly. It has all the necessary additive for anti-wear and rust and it is available in a bunch of different weights.

Personally I think 30 is too heavy. I thinking a 5W or a 10W (or a blend of them) would be just about perfect.

Ken
Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

i would use what the guys that manufactured the pumps say to use... which is 10-30 motor oil... seems to me they might have some insight into what is actuallt correct..but hell... what do they know...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered

ATF is always a safe choice