Availability of turbo parts >

Availability of turbo parts

Notices

Availability of turbo parts

Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
A good guideline to look at would be the width of the merc 850's or even the new merc 1350's. I think you can find the dimensions on merc racings website. I believe there was one mti race boat that put bumps on the side of the boat to fit the headers in. The narrower the better.
It looks like the 1350 is 34 inches wide. This is going to make for some tight packaging.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/1350/specs/

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Your biggest obstacle with building a turbo package to bolt on Mercs current offerings is the 555 ecu is what they ALL have these days and there is virually no one that can tune it except a very select few and they have there own engine upgrade offerings so tghey aren't going to be real willing to help most likely. You could build a replacement harness and ecu but now you are really escalating the cost as these are sequential coil on plug motors with every kinda electric gismo that exist. The stuff guys like me are running and tuning on our older motors hasn't been used since just after 2000. I hope you can come up with something, I'm not against, would be really cool, Smitty
Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Your biggest obstacle with building a turbo package to bolt on Mercs current offerings is the 555 ecu is what they ALL have these days and there is virually no one that can tune it except a very select few and they have there own engine upgrade offerings so tghey aren't going to be real willing to help most likely. You could build a replacement harness and ecu but now you are really escalating the cost as these are sequential coil on plug motors with every kinda electric gismo that exist. The stuff guys like me are running and tuning on our older motors hasn't been used since just after 2000. I hope you can come up with something, I'm not against, would be really cool, Smitty
Well, I don't call myself EFI-Unlimited just because it sounds cool. I am well versed in the inner workings of power train controllers (specifically the MPC555/565). The major hurdle with calibrating these controllers in not technical, but political. The people that are enjoying the monopoly right now will try to make life difficult for anyone who tries to enter the market.

We will cross that bridge when we come to it. For the moment, I want to make builder parts available.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I believe that Boostpower had turbo offerings at the havasu boat show. Might want to check their website.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I believe that Boostpower had turbo offerings at the havasu boat show. Might want to check their website.
I did look it over, and it looks like they are offering one off, custom made stuff. Interesting to see.

http://boostpower.com/boostpower-com...ne-p-1732.html

Keep the info comin'! The more I know what is available, the better.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by EFI-Unlimited
Well, I don't call myself EFI-Unlimited just because it sounds cool. I am well versed in the inner workings of power train controllers (specifically the MPC555/565). The major hurdle with calibrating these controllers in not technical, but political. The people that are enjoying the monopoly right now will try to make life difficult for anyone who tries to enter the market.

We will cross that bridge when we come to it. For the moment, I want to make builder parts available.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
If you have the ability to unlock and tune the 555 then there is where your money is at , Smitty
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Brian, I was just reading about you and had a efi question . I am doing a procharger install on a 04 Mustang for a customer, he bought the stuff used and has no tuning except a sct he already had. He's going to run 7-8 psi of boost. Who sells a tuner with data stream or who has a standard program for reflashing his ecu, SCT wouldn't help and even though procharger gives them a tune when whole kit goes on they won't sell it to him for a used kit. I can't believe that there isn't a HUNDRED places selling this crap as every other Mustang is boosted. We are somewhat familiar with tuning efi, have used Mefiburn on a few motors and a DHP tuner on a supercharged 3800 we built but its not what we normally do. We are a Transmission shop that does some performance engine work occasionally and we specialize in beefing up transmissions and rear ends, thanks if you can help, Smitty