Bearing Problems-BBC >

Bearing Problems-BBC

Notices

Bearing Problems-BBC

Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
I'd trash the block before I went to a custom, one-off bearing. From a quick glance at their website, they specialize in keeping really old iron on the road. Unless they have experience getting a 1950's Hudson Hornet to make 650HP in a marine application, I would say this is going to be a complete cr*p shoot for your application.
+1, and as i said before, marine engines have fairly short lives. something goes wrong, and you are gonna be bitten on the hiney by this same alligator all over again...if you insist on doing this, get at least 3 sets of mains.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, all roads have led to having my rear thrust main sleeved and running the Clevite bearings......See y'all on the water in another month....I hope.....fug.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 05-21-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Well, all roads have led to having my rear thrust main sleeved and running the Clevite bearings......See y'all on the water in another month....I hope.....fug.
Assuming that whoever does the work will wind up replacing the rear cap (it makes more sense than sleeving it, labor-wise), make sure they check the bore size of the rear seal area. Using a cap from another block can cause major discrepencies in the seal area size on a Gen V/VI, due to cap registration and the fact that the parting edge of the cap is not necessarily the centerline of the housing bore, and will vary from block to block. You can wind up with a nasty seal leak (around the seal OD) if the bore is not the correct size. Just pointing it out, take a guess how I know this...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cubicinches
Assuming that whoever does the work will wind up replacing the rear cap (it makes more sense than sleeving it, labor-wise), make sure they check the bore size of the rear seal area. Using a cap from another block can cause major discrepencies in the seal area size on a Gen V/VI, due to cap registration and the fact that the parting edge of the cap is not necessarily the centerline of the housing bore, and will vary from block to block. You can wind up with a nasty seal leak (around the seal OD) if the bore is not the correct size. Just pointing it out, take a guess how I know this...
Thanks...I will be sure to check that.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

GF,
I got in touch with someone I know that works at one of the big rebuilders. He was out of the office until tommorow but he said they have used those bearings in the past and "might" have some left. Not trying to get your hopes up too much but he said he would check when he got back in the plant on Tuesday. I will let you know either way when I find out.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf md
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Registered

Bill,

Thank you very much! I tried calling re-builders and just as I suspected they didn't want much to do with me unless I bought one of there products.....typical.

Come to find out, I have two friends that work at the only shop in the area that spray welds....who knew. I am having them look into their abilities for that. I still would rather do bearings if I can get them. Let me know please Sir!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

sorry, he struck out, does not have any I tried . .
Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered

Bill,

I thank you for your efforts. Guys like you keep this site going!

Ron