Best way to boost octane from regular to high test

Notices

Best way to boost octane from regular to high test

Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I have read good things about Torco Octane booster. You may want to check it out.
+1.

Used it in China this past weekend on a 12.5:1 race engine and the knock sensors didn't even touch the spark timing table.

But we were running 32oz of the stuff per 5 gallons of gas.

Won the race and the engine is healthy. But it didnt see the constant load it would of in a boat.

Still might be worth a look. No doubt we picked up more than just a couple points of "octane" or the knock sensors would have pulled timing.

It does make the plugs turn a funny color, but not from detonation.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into Aces. A lot of the 2-stroke run it and I've heard great things. It also helps with the ethanol fuel crap too. It's not cheap, but it goes a long way.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
Here is a link from a while back, you might want to pm these guys to get more info, Smitty
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...injection.html
Thanks man!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hmm, I wonder if the fact that Ice Injection is no longer in business is a clue?......
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ted G
Hmm, I wonder if the fact that Ice Injection is no longer in business is a clue?......
We are still in business but unfortunately we are having problems with our web site not our product.I don't know of any companies that make a kit for a marine application other than us.Our solenoid alone costs "us "more than an entire Snow kit.
It is definitely easier to add race fuel to your big blown power than it is to initially set up your injection system..With meth injection you must carefully monitor all of your temperatures especially your EGTs.
You can however achieve the same performance results running less timing and with $4.00 a gallon regular fuel.On our test boat running 15lbs of boost we would burn 15 to 20 gallons of meth per 175 or so of fuel.Still cheaper than straight race fuel as meth comes in as needed for us around 8 +lbs or so.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I talked to the guys at Snow and they said a 700hp motor could make 7 1/4 mile passes on a 3qt reservoir. I figured I'd need a 15 gallon tank to get the range I needed. The racing gas idea is sounding better.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
We are still in business but unfortunately we are having problems with our web site not our product.I don't know of any companies that make a kit for a marine application other than us.Our solenoid alone costs "us "more than an entire Snow kit.
It is definitely easier to add race fuel to your big blown power than it is to initially set up your injection system..With meth injection you must carefully monitor all of your temperatures especially your EGTs.
You can however achieve the same performance results running less timing and with $4.00 a gallon regular fuel.On our test boat running 15lbs of boost we would burn 15 to 20 gallons of meth per 175 or so of fuel.Still cheaper than straight race fuel as meth comes in as needed for us around 8 +lbs or so.
Pm me a price for a "kit" if you are marketing one, I would figure I would need a 7.5 gallon tank as I have a 90 gallon fuel tank and have neve used a whole tank of gas in one day ever, thanks, Smitty
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
as far as the EGTS, did you see higher temps from running pump gas vs race gas (which I would expect) or did running the Methanol lean the motor out and drive egts up? I run 12-13 psi of boost on pump 93, when I run 14 psi I usually mix in 10-20% race gas, Smitty