Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Box Anchors- Chain or No Chain? >

Box Anchors- Chain or No Chain?

Notices

Box Anchors- Chain or No Chain?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big a box anchor for a 24' Progression ld do you guys suggest?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m sure everyone has difference experiences, but I didn’t care for the box anchor. 95% of my anchoring is in Lake St. Clair in hard packed sand. I’ve tried both the small and large box anchors and they never could get a good bite in the bottom for me in calm conditions or light and variable winds. If there wasn’t a constant force on the box anchor in one direction it wouldn’t hold or set good. If the wind died down or changed direction it would drag or flip on its side and not reset. I carry 2 anchors under my back seat, a Fortress FX-16, and replaced my box with a 14lb Delta Fast Set anchor. I can’t say enough good about the Delta Fast set, I now use it as my primary anchor. I like it way better than the Box’s I had, and holds better in weeds and muck over the Fortress. Just my opinion.

Last edited by johnny b good; 04-12-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 4,274 Likes on 1,233 Posts

^^^^^^ Same experience in Lake Michigan.. got a Fortress and never looked back. Love how all the muck comes right off with off the Fortress, no dipping it in the water a 100x times to clean it like the box.