Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Do I need to pull the motor now? >

Do I need to pull the motor now?

Notices

Do I need to pull the motor now?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to pull the motor now?

So I'm checking the timing this morning on my 468ci while on the hose. I increase the RPM to 2000 and feel a vibration that I had not felt yesterday. I notice the vibration is between ~1800 - 2400 RPM and then settles smooth. I go back down to idle, 900 RPM, and hear an abnormal noise out of the exhaust, I get out of the boat and listen closer and it sounds like a slight "clanging" out of the port side exhaust. My engine is up to temp so I rule out the hypereutectic pistions that are .001 under the bore. I shut down the motor and begin to pull the riser. Water! Come to find out one of the internal runners on my Gil manifolds cracked a hole in the jacket about an 1/8", thus leaking water into #5 exhaust valve.

What is the probability I bent a rod? What should be my next step? Aside form being sick to my stomach...

BTW, the oil(RP 15-40) is milky.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ittledoo; 05-24-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the vibration sounds like it...now engine vibration vs miss right ? doubt bent the rod while running unless hydro locked when starting....but water in the oil can do damage...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the milky oil may be reversion from the leaking manifold,do a leakdown and go from their,you might get by with just replacing the manifold,good luck.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 249 Posts

Do a compression check too. In the unlikely event that it bent a rod, it probably won't show up in just a leakdown test.

Did you by chance have the drive up while revving engine and checking timing? may have damaged a u-joint.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 05-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

it,

No matter what you decide to do, pull all of the plugs and the manifolds and then crank the engine over to get all of the water out of the cylinders. Then shoot all eight cylinders with a good long blast of fogging oil through the plug holes and crank it over some more. You cannot believe how quickly raw water will start to eat up a cylinder wall

I have a couple of blocks, I mean anchors, at the shop right now that "only had water in them for a few days"

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies Gent!

This engine has got me sick! It's my fault for going to the engine shop that I did in the first place, but I digress...

I had the outdrive a little past half way down, Snap, so I hope not. And I do plan on doing a compression test first thing when I wake up tomorrow. (I work nights 6p-6a)

I will not be able to fog it tonight considering I'm at work, I will pull the plugs in the morning and shoot the cylinders before I go to sleep Bill, thx.

I was also thinking of a miss as well ez, but that doesn't answer the question of the sound coming from out of the exhaust would it? Like the pistons were not heated up, mainly on the port side. And I had the oil heated up.

I think I had a total run time this afternoon of a half hour, however, I am not sure when the oil turned milky. It was clear on the lake yesterday. The manifold cracking had to have happened today during heat up.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the milky oil may be reversion from the leaking manifold,do a leakdown and go from their,you might get by with just replacing the manifold,good luck.
I'm positive the ex. valve was sucking the water in. I have had 6 hours of run time and producing excellent oil readings. New manifolds will more than likely be on order tomorrow regardless what else I find, thx.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Pull all the plugs and squirt some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, to prevent any furthur rusting!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i don't think you bent a rod. i did once hydrolocking a small block. starter was spinning full speed. WHAM! stopped motor cold. pulled plugs blew out water. loud rap! bottom of piston was hitting crank throws. you know it when something bad enough to bend a rod happens.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Pull all the plugs and squirt some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, to prevent any furthur rusting!
Done...going to sleep now, then will do compression test.

I'm surprised Auto Zone carried Marvel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.