Starter Slave Solenoid Location on Merc 496 Mag >

Starter Slave Solenoid Location on Merc 496 Mag

Notices

Starter Slave Solenoid Location on Merc 496 Mag

Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter Slave Solenoid Location on Merc 496 Mag

Through some help from you guys, I believe I have isolated my issue to the starter solenoid or slave solenoid(I read that there are 2 solenoids).

From what I have searched and read through the forums, I should try to replace my slave solenoid first. Does anyone have a picture of this solenoid location and possibly a part number? (I wasn't able to find and 496 specific pictures in the forums).

Thanks for all the help!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...help-asap.html
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile When to call in a pro

MidnightR6:

I will try to be very polite and not critical of your attempts to fix your problem.
I would now recommend you find a good marine mechanic to troubleshoot your starter problem.
Your comments tend to indicate you have very little expierence with marine engine troubleshooting or repair and not even knowing where the starter is or the starter solenoid on a big block GM marine engine tells me you are a bit over your head. I think you will end up replacing and working on parts that don't need replacement or repair and you will probably just frustrate yourself and possibly create addtional problems proceeding as you are.
Please consider my expertise and advice when I say this as I think this is now your best course of action.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your advice and have never hesitated to call a pro in the past. If you lived on the east coast, I would gladly pay you to come teach me a thing or two. This is a new(to me) boat, so I do have little experience with it, but I enjoy learning. For instance, I hired a guy to come to my house and I worked alongside him winterizing the boat and learned quite a bit. I have rebuilt the top end on my z28(with help), completely restored motorcycles, and do all automotive repairs myself.

This solenoid(if easy to replace) was going to be my last attempt before taking it to a shop. I prefer to try and learn before just taking it to the shop every time something goes wrong. I do have little experience with marine engine troubleshooting...but everyone at one point in their life has had little experience as well.

Thanks for all your helpful tips thus far, as I have already learned a lot.