SBC intake manifold >

SBC intake manifold

Notices

SBC intake manifold

Old 06-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC intake manifold

Guys on a sbc does the water flow all through the intake manifold or just out of the heads through the front of the manifold and out the thermostat??? I have 6.2's.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Austin,
Only through the front and out of the thermostat housing. There is one exception but i dont think it applies to any marine applications. Some early fuel injected engines had a very small amount of water circulating in the back to warm the throttle body. As far as I know, this was only in cars and trucks.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Thanks Bill....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

on some of the later vortec style small blocks they also had a hose going from the top of the water pump to a port on the front of the intake manifold under the thermostat housing..i believe this fed the intake to warm it up...
Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

I'm getting water in my cyclinders. Thought it was the intake manifold but now I think it might be reversion back through the Stainless Marine manifolds. So... I pulled the intake manifold, cleaned the mikeshake out, put a new gasket on, and tourqued perfectly. Changed the oil with some diesil added ran it for 5 mins on the lift, changed the oil again. When I tried to turn it over it sounded like it might lock up, so I stoped and pulled the plugs. Water on the two center plugs. I pulled the riser and about a half cup in each of the middle ports. Could this be a rusted through intake manifold?? Or is it reverrsion?? I always heard that a stock cam doesn't revert. The angle of my exhaust is not that great and the Stainless Marine risers and petty short - but I filled out their form and it what they gave me! Experts please chime in on the main question... rusted through intake( I run raw water) or reversion????
Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Austin, we had a great time with you guys last week. Hope you get it figured out so when we come back down we can make that run to Pete's with you.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

We look forward to it- had a great time meet you both as well. I'm getting very close to sorting it out. Took some measurements this morning to see if the motors were mounted correctly, and it looks like they were. 18" from the top of the risers to the waterline and the exhaust exsits at between 11-15 degrees to the transom. So for some reason it looks like the Stainless Marine exhausts are offering water back to the engines- and quite a bit of it. I'll get some extention tubes for the inside exhaust tube and see what happens.

Congrats on all of your stuff.... claim it
Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Registered

Anybody out there know if a rusted out intake has the same signs as reversion??
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

It sounds like you have a leak in your exhaust. I would check them thoroughly first. I have never heard of an intake leak water into the cylinders.