Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Clamp/Slip on switchable mufflers... >

Clamp/Slip on switchable mufflers...

Notices

Clamp/Slip on switchable mufflers...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clamp/Slip on switchable mufflers...

I have a set of emi's on my boat, and it doesnt have silent choice or anything, and after riding in my buddies boat this weekend with silent choice, ill be honest its nice to swtich the exhaust to be quiet when idleing around past water patrol, esp at lake of the ozarks..(they will pull ya over for any reason they can) But, I would have to put a set of switchable clamp on mufflers, does anyone have a video of them and how they look and sound?? I still want to have them open when Im running, but I also want to run it at night when I have them closed..again..water patrol issue..
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Switchable mufflers do not have nearly the noise reduction of silent choice. I would say mine reduce the noise by about 25%.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by stlliberator
I have a set of emi's on my boat, and it doesnt have silent choice or anything, and after riding in my buddies boat this weekend with silent choice, ill be honest its nice to swtich the exhaust to be quiet when idleing around past water patrol, esp at lake of the ozarks..(they will pull ya over for any reason they can) But, I would have to put a set of switchable clamp on mufflers, does anyone have a video of them and how they look and sound?? I still want to have them open when Im running, but I also want to run it at night when I have them closed..again..water patrol issue..
gibson turn downs,,quiet in the no wake but louder on plane.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

I hate the looks of turn downs, and plus I want to be able to run them "closed" at times during the night time cruises...cant do that with turn downs..I would say 25% reduction when closed at idle would be alot quiter..I mean I dont need it as quiet as silent choice, but quieter in the no wake zones would be nic..
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I was looking at the Gibson turn downs, but my cam is to big, my engine builder recommended against them. I ended up with the Gibson slip ons, they work great and I haven't been able to detect any performance loss, of course I'm only running about 700hp NA. In Michigan, inland lakes have a 55mph speed limit so the full time mufflers make me less conspicuous when I may be running a little over.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered

Totally not what you asked, but something like these may be an option.

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-472-s...silencers.aspx
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered

I dont want a full time muffler or turn downs..I just want to be able to make it quieter when I want too..not all the time.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

stlliberator, I know you want the convenience of a switchable, but in my opinion the cost of installation and finicky nature of solenoid/air operated ones are not worth the hassle.I use the slip in ones [ CPPerformance or REX marine,] mentioned above.-10dB reduction! If want to cruise in the evening when a loud boat is more noticable by the locals, it only takes minutes to install them.I can put them in blind folded, kneeling on the swimgrid.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
stlliberator, I know you want the convenience of a switchable, but in my opinion the cost of installation and finicky nature of solenoid/air operated ones are not worth the hassle.I use the slip in ones [ CPPerformance or REX marine,] mentioned above.-10dB reduction! If want to cruise in the evening when a loud boat is more noticable by the locals, it only takes minutes to install them.I can put them in blind folded, kneeling on the swimgrid.
I realize it wasn't what you asked. I have the cheapie $80 ones and I can put them in in less than 20 seconds per side. Because of their design I do lose about 3 mph. If they are in, it's because I am in a noise restricted area, or out for a cruise and don't want to be hassled. Kinda like you described

-10db is a LOT quieter but still has a nice rumble to it, really takes the edge off.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Registered

Ya I know those slip in ones are very easy to install. But im not going to stop in the middle of the no wake zone and climb up on the platform to slide them in whenever I see a WP in the no wake zone..I dont know what ill do..but thanks for all the help and advice though..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.